Fly Tying
letumgo

Bubblegum Swinger (Cotter Pin Fly)

This fly was inspired by Jamie's (James Daly) recent post for a Cotter Pin Intruder. I ran out and bought some cotter pins from the local hardware store to play around with. I really like the idea of being able to change out the hook and add different rear sections to this fly (short tube bodies, glass beads, etc.). I think these will make effective steelhead patterns. I will try out some additional ideas and post any that may be useful.

Thanks again, Jamie! :D

Ray if your flies do not catch you loads of fish your line must be on backwards!! Cause your flies are all SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray, certainly looks effective . Think I`d better buy some of those cotter pins myself

bob

VERY NICE!!! :headbang: I think I need to get myself some cotter pins!! Really gotta start getting the selection of swinging flies ready for the Fall/Winter season up here!

Nice fly Ray!

Mike

No the marabou is tyed in as a single feather (more like a wing). I was trying to leave the fly a little more open on the bottom so the body was visible through the bucktail collar.

I think the marabou could easily be palmered up the body to form a more uniform fly, but that is not what I was going for in this one. I want to try my spectrum leech pattern with the cotter pin fly. I think it will eliminate the occasional short strike.

OK, that's it. THANKX Ray..........now i know what i'm gonna do with a couple million of the billion glass beads i got. :D mark :P

Good Day,

Nice fly!

Question... are you tying in something like chenille near the "eye" to keep the marabou from "collapsing" in the water?

Steelie

Tanks for bringing this back from the dead!! I would have never found it!!!!!!!!!!! BOOKMARKED Great fly Ray

adaco - The hook is attached to a loop of beading wire that is secured to the shank of the cotterpin. Cotterpins have a one side longer than the other. You can clamp this into your vice, same as you would a normal hook. Then wrap the shank of the cotterpin with a single layer of thread. Then form a loop of wire or beading cord and secure the loop along the top of the cotterpin (same way you would when tying a tandem fly). You can add the hook onto the wire loop after the fly is done, simply by inserting the loop thru the eye of the hook and sliding it up the loop far enough to then pass the hook thru the center of the loop. If you dull a hook while fishing, you can replace the hook with a new one, saving the fly.

Steelie - No, I had not used chenille, but your question made me think that a couple wraps of Estaz (under the marabou) would be a nice addition. It might even add a nice inner sparkle to the pattern. Hmmm...interesting...

Thanks guys.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.