Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Teioneon

Project Healing Waters

Greetings one and all!!

I am here to solicit help from any of you who are near Syracuse, NY for some help this Saturday (July 19) morning for a few hours.

Namely from 9 a.m. to noon.

A couple of my TU buddies here are working on getting a Chapter(?) of Project Healing Waters going here at the VA.

It's a go so far but we hit a small snag. Some of our volunteers had work or family issues come up and we are little short of help. Right now there are 3 of us for sure and about 10 vets but more help would be greatly appreciated.

Right now the plan is meet the vets and VA staff, do a little casting and maybe some tying or at least demonstrations.

If there is anyone fairly local who can help out in any shape form or manner, you know it will be greatly appreciated.

You can contact me via the site here and I will be happy to send you my email address in a PM.

Sorry about the short notice but I got hit with this myself just now.

Thanks again folks!!!

Dave

It's a great program. How is yours coming along? I'm a member of the program up here at Fort Lewis, Washington. Donate time all I can (hard for me, since it's during a thursday midday). Luckily, we have enough interest we may have a night program on the base. Would up my time BIG TIME. I went today in fact (on vacation). I donate every thursday of every vacation to this program and whatever Thursdays I can swing. Was a wonderful turnout, and ended up teaching a good 2 hours after the class shut down (had that much interest).

Hope it's going well for you.

I went to this last month. It was a fun time, but not the turnout we had quite hoped for. If I'm correct, the second one is tomorrow (8/23/08) and hopefully there will be better turn out. Unfortunately, I have to work and can't make it this time. :(

I am on active duty right now, and work with wounded Soldiers, I'd love to be a part of PHW some how..

Good luck with your group.

Brian

Mike,

You are correct!!!!! Tomorrow is the next meeting.

Sorry you have to work. Dale does also. I just got an email from him. I also hope it'll be a better turn out.

Will keep you posted about it. Also will let you know when Sept's is for the fishing outing.

There was an article in the paper here and is also online about it.

Syracuse Project Healing Waters

I am taking tying stuff for wooly buggers, some ants and foam crickets.

At least I'll be prepared.

Hope all is well in with you and the family!

Dave

Good luck tomorrow Dave. I was thinking of bringing the family, send them to the zoo (visit, or long term stay.....i was undecided) and me to the PHW. Maybe another time. Definitely let me know about next month for fishing, I'll see if I can join you then!

I tried getting a group going in Little Rock and couldn't beg up a volunteer. Frustrating .. very frustrating. :wallbash:

Mike

Are you a member of TU or FFF?

This started with a couple of our guys from Iroquois and the Madison chapters who are friends.

I know that there are some TU Chapters that are more "old boy" fishing clubs and are more cliqueish than others (based upon previous articles here and at some other boards. Sorry Will! It won't happen again! :innocent: ). If you get a lousy or even no response from them in asking for help then as not only as a former member of the armed services but also a human being, then they are scumbags.

At least all you have to lose is some time by checking out these 2 groups. Maybe even the Recreational Therapy Dept. at the local VA could be of help to you.

I hope this helped/helps you out.

Thanks Mike...am leaving in a bit and will pass along to all on how this one went.

Dave

Sorry, but it's been a bit crazy with work and some other stuff.

It actually went pretty well. We had 5 vets come in and we spent time showing them casting as well as some tying.

There is an outing planned for Sept. 13th at a private pond in Fayetteville. Marty is going to email directions and what not.

I am sorry to say, I cannot be there.

I am not sorry to say that I will be up on the West Branch of the Ausable for 3 days! :ban:

It seems like this is actually going to get goingand I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Dave .. sorry I missed your post. I am actually on the board of directors of the local TU chapter and a disabled vet member of the FFF. I really wish I knew how to get some volunteers. There's some local clubs and unfortunately most of them are the "good old boy" network like you mentioned. I have also tried to get some volunteers to help the local hatchery. The manager there is swamped and really needs help. You guessed it .. I can't help her either because of the no volunteers. I won't quit though.

Mike

do you guys know of any michigan chapters??? i am kind of new to fly fishing and 24 but would like to donate some time to help out any way i could, certianly to the guys that have given me my freedom and are keeping it for me and my 2 kids and the other two that are on the way (wifes having twins in march).

shaun