Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Backyard Pix

My wife has been out in Montana and Wyoming the past few weeks painting landscapes, and she decided (as women always seem to do) that a similar trip would do me a world of good. I haven't made up my mind where to go yet, probably Maryland's Eastern Shore/the Outer Banks or Newfoundland, or maybe both. Anyway, I've been wanting a bunch of new gear for some time and no matter how long I waited, it seemed that nobody was willing to give me the stuff, so I went ahead and bought it so I'll be ready when it's time to hit the road. (B&H owes me a free lunch at the very least) Among the goodies are a 100mm macro, a 70-200mm zoom and a variable ND filter. Like John mentioned in another thread, I don't shoot much in the summer either; I prefer the fall/winter light, but I needed to test out the new stuff while there was still time to send it back if anything was defective. Nothing was - I took the macro out into the meadow in back of the house to practice on the bumblebees and some bright orange flowers that grow there. Let's just say I have even more respect for the macro wildlife work you guys do than I had before. (and I already had plenty) I knew it was hard and required a lot of patience, but Geez! Anyway, the Canon 100mm macro impressed the heck out of me, especially considering the reasonable price. It'll probably take the rest of my life for my skills to catch up with what it can do.

Bumblebee #1 was too busy gathering pollen to notice that bee #2 was zooming in to share his flower. Bumblebees usually seem to get along OK, but Bee #1 took exception to Bee #2's arrival and a pretty good scrap took place. I just had time to hit the shutter as Bee #2 flew into the frame to complete the composition.

IPB Image

The shallow DOF is pretty scary to somebody who's new to macro, but I'm beginning to like the effects you can get with it.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I don't know what it is about ferns and water drops, but I seem to be incapable of walking past them without taking a shot.

IPB Image

Thanks guys, I like the ferns too. I have to pay attention to what John says about macro being addicting. I got the 100mm to shoot ice details and mini-landscapes, etc., but if I'm not careful, the bug-hunting will become an obsession. The last thing I need is another addiction; I can barely keep up with the ones I already have. (LOL) So many subjects, so little time.