Fly Tying
Seadog

The biggest problem of fly-tying

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but, I need to vent.

I have been tying for about 3 years now and, yes, I am very much addicted! Of course, my wife has 3 special ways of reminding me of my addiction so that I never forget.........

1. All you want to do is fish or tie flies.

2. Do you really need to buy that.

3. I'm not trying to complain, but.........

Lately, when she begins to remind me of my addiction, all I hear is blah, blah, blah, blah!!

Don't get me wrong, I have an awesome wife. She would be almost perfect if she could get past my addiction.

Am I the only one that deals with this kind of thing?

Spend more time with her and less time without her. It will make a difference.

I agree with Day5, it could become a problem if sll your time goes to fishing and tying.

Did you ever watch that video that was posted sometime ago...............cannot remember the title .something about Simon and a hair wing caddis. :o

The other approach is to try and include your wife and try top get her interested in either the fishing, tying or if your lucky enough ..both !!!.................... :unsure:

Best of luck and as always ................tight threads

Mike...................... B)

I too am addicted. But my wife is obsessed with horses. To keep the peace I spend time with her doing the things we both enjoy when she 's ready to do them. There's plenty of time to spend on this forum or fish or tie when she's riding or taking care of the horses.And late at night when she wants to watch " Lifetime" (tv for women) you'll find me here or at my tying bench.Don't let it become an issue. Good women are hard to find.

As strange sounding as it might be, my wife is learning to fish so I have someone to go with since I lost my Dad, who was my fishing partner. She knows I miss our trips together and has taken notice that I do not have the same drive about fishing as I used to have and is trying to get me back out there but knows that I really should have someone with me just in case I have a problem because I have issues with walking and it is a real problem if I fall. So she is learning how to flyfish and it is actually a lot of fun for both of us even after 30 years of marriage, it is really nice to do things together. Never pass up the chance, you do not want to ever say I wish we would have, you always have the chance to do it now, so do it. You will be glad you did.

It was an issue in my former marriage, I pointed out I could have other interests that involved a different kind of pole!

I have seen more than one marriage ruined over addiction to fly fishing...be careful.

John

I am fortunate, my wife has never complained about my tying or fishing. She is aware that there are countless other "interests" that I could have and all things being equal, fishing and tying are pretty tame.

I'm lucky. My wife likes to fish and encourages me to tie flies if I enjoy it.

But she hates it when I leave my empty beer bottle on the kitchen counter...so it balances out.

:dunno:

Man I hear you My wife dos the same thing and come plans the same way as your wife dos.

So your not a loan.

tyrite

Move your tying activities to a location where you can talk to her while tying. (Not as rub-your-stomach-pat-your-head as you may think.)

If you have kids, be willing to stop tying and deal with them.

Tie a limited number of flies every night and ask her opinion as to the finished product. Ask simple "Does it look buggy?" sort of questions.

My time spent tying and cash spent on materials could be time spent at the local pub and she knows it.

So i never hear a word about it :lol:

I've meet some good friends here on the forum because of fly tying and she knows it. Will,Will Sr.,Steeldrifter,Nick,Graham,AlexC,Fishigan,Mike(RedWings)They seen me drunk at the bottom of the barrel :lol:

I love ya guys! Good guys to fish and hang out with.

Lots of good people on here that can't be replaced.

Brent

My wife conveniently took it upon herself to go through my credit card statements and add up how much I was spending on fly tying equipment/materials. That was so nice of her!

Hey Seadog, All good advice from the group. I know when my wife gets on my case about my hobbies there is something more she is not telling me. Money concerns, spending more time together, a break from the kids. So it usually takes an open minded conversation.

My wife has absolutely no interest in taking up my hobbies so I make sure whatever she wants to do I support her and help facilitate it.

I also explained to her that I have never been creative or artistic but fly tying actually has allowed me to change that. She also know how much I enjoy it and sharing on this board and with friends and family and sees their positive reaction, which helps....and I tie at night when she's and the kid's are asleep.

Try flowers, a card or a small gift and tell her how much you appreciate her, what she does and supporting you and your interests. Worked for me! Create a fly and name it after her if you think that might work (as long as it is not buggy). I would suggest Classic Wet or Salmon Fly with her favorite colors and/or birth month colors.

The key is to be consistent and not wait too long to acknowledge her. I still screw that up.

You’re not alone!

Wow, I thought I was the only one. I feel for ya bro. My wife hates that I go in and out of hobbies, but fly fishing isn't a hobby, it is a way or life. Mine always checks to make sure that there arent any hooks, etc... laying around. Also, I HAVE to wash my hands after touching animal fur, etc....

I am trying to spend more time with her, and as of right now it is working. If I give her what she wants, she gives me my time to fish/tie.

Interesting post, a couple questions come to mind. are you tyig flies to potentially make money, very unlikely, or strictly as a hobby. If as a hobby , is it okay to jeopardize your relationship? Most of us tying flies, are somewhat addicted. If we've been married any length of time, we have a pretty good idea when things are getting testy. I'm an early riser, so I do most of my tying while my wife is still in bed. As far as the the cost of tying stuff, when you think about it, how much money is the actual fly costing us, possibly one dollar!!! I hear as much complaining using the computer, so I'm in double jeopardy. Good post, something to toss around.

Have a gpood one

Pat Carroll