Fly Tying
Seadog

The biggest problem of fly-tying

Interesting post, a couple questions come to mind. are you tyig flies to potentially make money, very unlikely, or strictly as a hobby. If as a hobby , is it okay to jeopardize your relationship? Most of us tying flies, are somewhat addicted. If we've been married any length of time, we have a pretty good idea when things are getting testy. I'm an early riser, so I do most of my tying while my wife is still in bed. As far as the the cost of tying stuff, when you think about it, how much money is the actual fly costing us, possibly one dollar!!! I hear as much complaining using the computer, so I'm in double jeopardy. Good post, something to toss around.

Have a gpood one

Pat Carroll

My wife, God bless her, has put up with me for almost 18 years now... and our "hobbies" have rarely meshed- in fact she sort of doesn't have any hobbies other than being a spinning/group fitness instructor and her job as a fitness programs coordinator at an army post. She's been more or less totally consumed with that for many years, while I've always been on 24/7 duty, and with a few hours here and there -hunting, fishing, shooting, fishing, road and mountain biking, fishing, motorcycling, fishing, scuba diving, photographing things, fishing, looking for snakes and lizards, fishing, collecting insects, fishing, and fishing, depending on where we lived. I didn't mention that she's a great Mom and keeps the house WAY nicer than I could ever do. What can I say, she lets us (my son and I, but previously just me) keep snakes in the refrigerator to cool them down for photography, and lets us rear caterpillars into moths and butterflies in the house, and doesn't mind that the regular parking spot for my road bike is in the living room next to my rollers because I ride inside most of the time these days.

My idea of a perfect vacation is fishing and camping, and hers is taking a cruise or lying on a beach somewhere doing nothing but reading or.... doing nothing. Someday I might take her back to Europe and we will ride a few places where the Tour or Giro go through, but we need to do that before we get OLD. I think I MIGHT have figured it out, after all these years, and it will hopefully come together later this week, we're spending a few days at the NAS in Pensacola, where she can lay on the beach and I can fish. If this works, I will be a GENIUS!! :headbang:

I have my corner of the spare room with my workbench, which serves as my tying bench and handloading bench. The handloading part rarely gets used anymore because I don't have a convenient place to shoot and metal prices have gone through the freakin' roof. I usually tie a few of this, and a few of that, and it's not a problem except she doesn't like the way bucktails smell. I tie a lot of bucktails.

Geez, she pretty much just leaves me alone and lets me do what I want. You guys have made me realize something here, but I'm not quite sure yet what it is.... :blink:

day 5 has a good point that and are you doing work around the house or just being lazy tying flies? best way to find out what wrong is communication. if you don't talk then what she going to think. any ways take the time to communicate. and good luck and tight lines rhino...........

day 5 has a good point that and are you doing work around the house or just being lazy tying flies? best way to find out what wrong is communication. if you don't talk then what she going to think. any ways take the time to communicate. and good luck and tight lines rhino...........

No, not lazy around the house. I do all the outside work and help clean and cook meals for our family of 4.

Don't get me wrong, we have an excellent relationship. It's just the nagging about my "addiction". Therefore, I will be taking her, my 7 year old son, and 3 year old daughter fishing in my boat this week.

It will be my daughter's first time in a boat. This could be an adventure!

my wife tried that for awhile, ( complaining ) i took her to town, stopped at a car dealership and she road home in a new fully paid, loaded, black crysler 300 limited and i've never heard a word from her since so this may be an option you could consider to get her off your back

Bud

My wife knows there are worst things that I could be involved in. She is mostly preaty good about my fishing habits. The only time she really gets upset is when I go on long fishing trips, 3 plus days, or when she feels that fishing has become more important to me than her. But I kinda tricked her a bit. I started a fly fishing business. So I am trying to make a little side money doing what I love. That way We both get what we want. She gets a little extra spending moeny and I get to spend more time envolved with fishing. I think the secret is not letting her feel like fishing is more important than her. And actually feeling that way. Your relationship with the wife is suppose to be the most impartant relationship in your life.

Just my point of view.

Randy

Bud, Can I get a new 300 if I start nagging at you for your habbits?

haha I love the 300's

The Chargers are too agressive in the front and sleek in the back. I like the way the caddi is so low to the ground and kinda boxy! lol :P

When my wife questions why i need a new fly rod i ask why she needs new shoes ;)

i do keep my family before fly fishing. I take the kids fishing far more than i go by myself. But when i do want to go she understands my need to be alone and fish for awhile. When my kids are grown and gone iwill have plenty of time to fish alone.

I have also reminded her of the fact that i could be bellied up to the bar in a nudie club rather than belly deep in a trout stream.

All you need to do is to be sure SHE has a hobby that costs more, like horses. Then a few hundred dollars worth of dead bird pelts in a drawer, the smell of mothballs, and a couple of shelves of books will seem like nothing. Not to mention the weekends away fishing, the feathers being washed in woolite in the bathroom sink, and the trips to local shows will seem like a bargain!

All my materials and equipment total less than her saddles and other tack, not to mention her 8 pairs of $150 britches. Makes a pair of new waders seem inconsequential. The price of a good pair of riding boots is more than a good graphite rod and machined reel.

Seriously, you'll have to stick to a budget. And there's never a shortage of ideas for birthday and Christmas presents (though your in-laws might think getting a box of Golden Pheasant heads on Christmas morning is a bit odd). She has been into horses for all 27 years of our marriage and I have been into fly fishing and tying for about 12 of those. Seems to work for us, although I think I give her a harder time about spending on horse stuff. Not to mention mothballs smell better than horsie doodle any day.

Good luck

-E

Ok, I stepped up to the plate and used some of the advise from guys like day 5, rhinorods69, and Bud Guidry.

This past week I cooked dinner every night and took the family fishing. Didn't get much serious fishing done, but they loved it.

It seemed to work like magic, I haven't heard one complaint about fly tying :yahoo:

I think what worked best is when I took Bud Guidry's advise and went last Saturday and bought her a brand, new Jeep Commander. Oh, she loved it.

But, my fly tying addiction just got a lot more expensive :bs:

[quI think what worked best is when I took Bud Guidry's advise and went last Saturday and bought her a brand, new Jeep Commander. Oh, she loved it.

ote]

She ought to. I bought mine in Sept. finest vehicle I've ever owned.

yea me to zack but she won't let me drive it. i like the chargers too

Bud

The Charger is my favorite car, hope to get one someday, I also like the look of the Dodge Magnum, they need to be red of course :rolleyes: , though I do find the metalic orange colors very eye catching.

My wife (almost) understands because fly tying and fly fishing are what I do for a living. I guess I am a fortunate soul. :)