Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
glm38

Thompson vise parts

The last I heard Thompson had gone out of business even though their website is still up? Does anyone know if that is true? I have a thompson A that I still really like and sometimes use (especially for travel) and I'm wondering if you can still get parts anywhere? Mine is still in good shape but I hear that pin or rivet that secures the cam lever to the back of the vise can be problematic and break. So I'd like to purchase an extra "just in case".

Thanks,

Greg

I think they got bought out. I wish I knew who I need jaws for an old thompson myself....

Years ago, I replace the jaws on my Tompson Pro with a midge set. I had to drill out the rivit, and I just used a 16 or 8 penny nail from then on so I could easily switch the jaws. I ground the nail down to about an inch and a half, and protruding end made a good materail hanger. I just passed this vise down to my nephew, and its still working fine.

Thanks all. I'm going to try both the thompson website and the adventure corp email. Hopefully one will work. I'd hate to have to scrap the good old thompson if that pin breaks. Thompson vises are not fancy but they sure do work well. I've got more expensive vises but when I pull out one of the thompson vises (A and B ) and tie on one - I sometimes wonder why I bothered to "upgrade". Sometimes simple is best.

Greg

I just got an email from adventure corp. Their email is actually: [email protected]

They do have thompson vise parts and offered me a cam lever/rivet pin assembly for $12.50. Even though that's more than I paid for the vise I'm still going to purchase one.

I also think adventure corp IS thompson vise company now. That email is listed on their website.

Greg

The problem with the using a nail for the pin is that it is soft metal. It will wear through. I ended up drilling out the hole in the handle just a wee bit (believe it or not the handle is hardened) and adding a roll pin, approximately 1/8" OD), which I pressed into place with a hammer and vise grips. Not pretty, but the roll pin is relatively hard spring steel. Of course now my Thompson is my spare vise.