Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CoachBob

RANT! RANT! RANT!

In the pattern data base click on Speckled Trout.

What'dya see? Trout flies, right?

Guys, this is a speckled trout -- a spotted weakfish.

It is a saltwater fish. It does not eat nymphs, or larva, or mayflies, or emergers, or terrestrials, or any of the things that 99% of the flies listed there are intended to replicate.

So why are these flies under speckled trout? Because some people see the word "trout" and don't think.

Thanks a lot. Now the rest of us have to page through 15 pages of freshwater trout flies trying to find the few patterns actually tied for specks.

post-14429-1216604091_thumb.jpg

O_o

Well then, I guess you learn something new every day eh? I never knew brookies were called Speckled Trout.

Try a deceiver with a fly rattle in it. I know its more conventional but it really works! I sware!

Well Bob, we know you got the shrimp pattern solved. You need a minnow , shad and a mullet pattern . And maybe a spoon.

Where I grew up in (Adirondack region of New York state), the local native trout were called speckled trout. I just looked it up on New York States DEC website and they say the same thing "The brook or speckled trout is New York's official State fish." Here is the picture they show as a speckled trout.

post-4573-1216685394_thumb.jpg

Looks like we have a bit of a problem with this fish category in the database. Perhaps we need a fresh water speckled trout and salt water speckled trout categories to keep them separate. :dunno:

Brook Trout: Salvelinus fontinalis

Speckled Sea Trout: Cynoscion nebulosus

NO, we just need to be able to call things what they are actually called, correctly, using the accepted ICZN binomials. That's what it's there for. This goes on over and over with all sorts of animals and plants. One person calls a fish one thing, another person calls it another, and on and on. "Common names" are only as good as the square foot of dirt you're standing on. Pretty obviously, there are widely accepted Common names which most folks know. Come down south and start to talk about "Bream" (brim) with people... it could be any sunfish which is not a crappie. But if you mention "River Bream", you are supposed to know you are talking about Redbreast sunfish, not just any regular old bream which might be in the same river. Lots of folks talk about Spotted Sea Trout too, which are the same as Speckled Sea Trout, but they are NOT the same as a Weakfish, which is also called a Whiting, but both of them are referred to as Trout, which of course they are not. It's confusing as hell unless you have a picture and ask a local what the hell they call it. It's much worse with insects, and plant names are a whole different world of confusion. Fun, huh? :P

Anyhow, Lefty says the best flies for Cynoscion nebulosus are bendbacks and deceivers and clousers in all white, all yellow, white with red, and yellow with red. I've only caught a few of them, so I don't know what is best, but I caught mine on sand-shrimp patterns fished deep. I caught them without knowing what I should be doing to target the species.

......huh?

Turns out a Perch isn't the same as a sunfish! haha We just call them perch down here.... xP

The guy that posted before me is right.... ( I didn't feel like trying to type out your name) It is confusing!

here you go coach, this tears them up here in south louisiana, keep it a secret and don't show anyone else, it's my go to bait . everybody close your eyes except coach. i don't need to explain how it's made, you can look at it and figure it out real easy

post-2058-1216716282_thumb.jpg

Bud