Fly Tying
Steve O

Michael Frodin Turbo Disks

I've been tying for a couple of seasons now with the Frodin "Turbo Disks" using, as he suggests, softer material, ie maraboo, arctic fox, templedog etc, however, whilst they look great in the vice swim well in the river (and have caught fish) they don't last. About 10mm behind the disk the material breaks after a few casts.

I've had ideas about putting harder materials in front but if you look at pic's in the mags pertaining to these they all show very soft material in front, usually Maraboo.

I've asked loads of people, professional included, but all to no avail, has anybody else used / tied these and experianced the same problems during fishing ?? other than not bothering !! anybody found a solution ??

I've now added a few pic's 26th July

Regards

Steve O

Northernsolo:- Thanx for the reply, but I suspect I've mislead you I don't have a prob with the Disk it's self, it's the wing material that break off about 10mm behind the disk. it's not coming out of the silk but actually breaking. I'll post some before and after pic's to show

Steve O

Grumbacher Tuffilm may cure your problem, i have never used it on marabou but have used it on hackle fibers. It is a really fine film spray they use to cover oil canvas paintings, works well for strengthening the hackle fibers on fly's i tie for bass. Just a suggestion, if you decide to try it you can get it at almost any craft store.

chris

:D Hi Steve O

First of all the feathers that you've seen on pics are for sure ostrich not marabou, and therefor more durable.

As I understand you have problems with hair breaking as well.

As a professional fly tyer my I have two suggestions for you:

1. Maybe you use to much super glue or zap a dap or whatever glue you use to attach the turbo cone. Theese kind of glue is very thin and the wing absorbse it very esay. When it dries it becomes hard but prone to break.

2. Check your materials, maybe you have bad quality hair and feathers. Try tyimg some flies without the turbo cones. If you get the same result you know what the problem is.

I have tied with the turbo cones for 3 seasons now and I've never had any complains. Not from myself nor from the ones bying my flies.

Feel free to contact me for firther discussion about materials.

Always Tight Lines :yahoo: :headbang: :yahoo: :headbang: :yahoo: :headbang:

Heading to river Orkla tomorow :yahoo: :yahoo: :headbang:

Tompa