Fly Tying
cbinwindsor

Largemouth suggestions.

Looking for suggestions on a pattern that is not a hassle to tie (read: no deer hair) and that will stay relatively slop free when getting into the junk for largemouth. Also, has anyone found a better way to create a weedless fly than the usual heay mono loop?

Thanks,

CB

how about a little dear hair? A muddler minnow is great this time of year and you can leave a long beard on him as a weed guard.

I drag spidergrubs over lilypads.....Is that slop free enough?

Not really. I'm dealing with a little algea and finer stuff. Grass, pads and milfoil aren't a problem. It's all the fine debris that gets caught up in it that's a pain for me. Plastics slide though this stuff well but flies tend to collect the stuff.

CB

In this neck of the woods, gurglers seem to do well. The best color combinations have been yellow and green, hook sizes 4 and 6. Easy to tie ,also.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

I drag spidergrubs over lilypads.....Is that slop free enough?

I've seen you cast....slop free?? :hyst:

CB:

The latest issue of American Angler (I believe) had an article on bass flies for weeds.

After a lot of thought on your question I think the answer you are looking for is a foam frog. The concept is much the same as a foam beetle, but the key is in the construction of the legs (multiple rubber legs not separated but knotted to make the feet) and a slightly wider body. I use a lot of foam dots to color the back and to make the eyes.

It is a simple tie and I do use a mono loop (around the bend to the eye) to make it weedless.

I will probably post a pattern eventually, but I tend to procrastinate.

Thanks everyone. I think keeping it to foam and rubber legs is the key as mentioned by CoachBob. I'll try to get my hands on the American Angler over lucnh here and see if that helps too.

Thanks agin,

CB

I still think mudler minnow.Replace traditional dear hair head with one of foam and use line dressing on your line and fly to allow the algae to slip off .

the slimy algae gets really bad in ponds here in south alabama. I have not found anything that will prevent it from gooping up a fly or any type of lure. It gets so bad that by about June, it is no fun at all to fish. If it's not the algae ruining things every cast, it's all the other junk and crap and film in the water surface that cling to the fly line. The bigger lakes have less of a problem but can still get bad. Mid summer here can be like mid winter up north, only in reverse. It's so dam' hot and humid, and the water is so nasty, that it's nearly impossible to fish.

I have not found any type of fly or weedguard that prevents the algae from glomming onto the fly.

Google "stealth bomber fly" and follow the directions. It's a killer fly that I use in muck and slime with great results.

foam slider works well for me in algae the head cuts through it pushing it away from the hook or tie one of these on and let the algae build up on it adds to the realizim

post-10925-1217004867_thumb.jpg

That is the coolest frog I have ever seen brother! Congrats on that thing, wheee.