Fly Tying
CoachBob

Have you named a fly?

Naming a Fly  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, I have had the ego to name a new fly pattern, but not after myself.

I have a conservative attitude when it comes to naming a fly.

Whatdaya think?

Name away. Who knows when the next wooley Bugger will be thought up. But of the countless thoussands of flies that have been thought to be original and new, none will be remembered like the wooley bugger or the clouser minnow until they do as these flies have done. And that is catch fish consistanly year after year.So name all the flies you want. I think its fun.But be real, The odds of you naming the next great pattern are about the same as me starting in the NBA

I claim ignorance. I just tied a simple streamer and dubbed it "The Yellow Dart." Was it a new pattern? probably not... although I'd never seen it before. I didn't know where to look to see if it had been done before, but I wanted to upload it and it needed a name.

I tie and fish "my" variation of Zebra midges. I name them basically after the materials I use but say all along they're Zebra midges.

Mike

If you create something totally new, then you have every right to call it whatever you like. On the other hand, if you are tying a variation of another fly, credit should be given to the original.

If you create something totally new, then you have every right to call it whatever you like. On the other hand, if you are tying a variation of another fly, credit should be given to the original.

Yes.

One of my favorite parts of the creation process is coming up with a name; nymph-o-minnow-ac, eggi juan kenobi, hetero-genious nymph, hairy fry, medusa, ooey gooey grub, let go of my eggo, sly and the family stones, are some of the names I have given particular patterns.

The "cosmic chicken" discussion reminded me of this thread.

I went looking for two patterns on the Internet last weekend. Under "Crazy Charlie" I found over a dozen variations with no imaginative names given to the patterns, even though they differed slightly from each other. Then I looked under "bass popper" and found tons that were basically the same fly but were named because they had two spots instead of three, or had a a strand of krystal flash added to the tail.

I agree that the easiest way to designate a fly is by using terms like "variant" or "style" such as "clouser varient #12". Then wouldn't looking through the index of fly patterns be easy.

For me the name only solidifies when you start selling them in the dozens to hundred dozens. Lee Wulff teeked the Royal Coachman with hair tail and wing and it truly became his Royal Wulff. He engineered a better floating version of the original. Something like the Copper John, needs John Barr's name in it since literally millions have been sold. A simple color change should still maintain the original name, So I guess for me taking a Closer minnow and tying it in Pink on a size 16 hook and using it for panfish, I could call it Futzer's pink weasel to my buddies, but if Umpqua picks it up for 1000 dozen, the most I would say is it is Futzer's Clowser panfish variant.

Silly fly names are fun!!!

Cheers, Futzer.

My point, in the Cosmic Chicken thread was that I was seeing fies that looked virtually identical to, for example, a Clouser that had been named by the tyer - either incorporating his or her name or inventing another. I suspected that some people were so challenged by feelings of inadequacy at the vice or so desperate to make a contribution that they felt the need to more or less 'plagiarize' someones legitimate contribution and creative effort and thus, in a very real way detract from the original effort.

What iced the cake for me was a particular specimen that was posted on several sites that was identical to a well known spun deer hair bass bug. It was a nice tie and if the maker had just posted it as an example of a good effort on his or her part to duplicate a difficult tie, I would have felt compelled to add a note saying it was a nice tie. But to claim credit for originating it by just changing the name was a bit over the line in my humble opinion. So for the (so far) 50% who say "Giving a pattern a name is just part of the fun and shouldn't be taken seriously" I have to respond that I personally view it in almost the same way I would plagiarism. It's just me, I guess....

Hi I have created some new pattern and some I have given a unique name that I cam up with. On the other hand I have made some that I called after my self just because I thought that it could become something more that caches fish and has a great look to it!!!

Now if that Flies I am creating has a fly that it is made after then I would add to the original flies name.

ex."Kaufmann's stone and I add an Egg to it I would call it Egg Sucking Kaufmann's stone fly"

That is my Two cents.

Thanks tyrite

Fishin' flies don't get names.......they for fishin'.........who cares................although the flies i'm tyin' for a local fly shop do have various "take off" names taken from the original..........The Usual, the Unusual, the Highly Unusual, and the Highly Unusual Usual...... :D i do the Usual in standard mode, the Unusual has a Peacock herl body, the Highly Unusual has a CDC body, and the Highly Unusual Usual has a soft hackle in front of the wing, in any and all body variations.

Art flies are another story.........they ALL have names........just as all pieces of Art do. :P :rolleyes: although.....i must admit, i often don't name them until someone ask me "Whataya call it?" It just so often seems unessessary until then.........or if posting.....sometimes. Yeah, i voted in the 50% group. :thumbup: mark..... :lol2:

My muskie flies are my flies from the ground up, and are closer to a Double Cowgirl than to a Clouser Minnow, but I don't bother naming them anymore. I used to try to name my flies, but realized my I had too many variants, and the line was often so blurred on what was "mine" and was Stu Apte's, Lefty's or Clouser's for example. I quit worrying about it.