Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lanvaettir

G. Loomis Adventure Reel

I picked up a new reel this weekend, a shiny new G.Loomis Venture 3/4 weight. I must admit that it seems like a great reel for $90. I loaded it up with double taper 3 weight Cortland 444 and took it to the park with my 4 weight 7.5 foot rod. The reel is incredibly smooth and quiet and the drag is really easy to adjust. I think this will be a great reel for the small streams here in New Mexico. I doubt that I'll ever use this reel for big fish but I might give it a try on the San Juan this summer. If nothing else, it is beautiful. I may just keep this one on my desk just to look at it! biggrin.gif

It is a nice reel indeed. I've been using the adventure 5 for a over a year now, and it's still works like the day I got it. I love the quiet retrieve, and the drag has never failed me. Good luck with yours!

headbang.gif

I have one on my 2wt. because it's light (but probably not light enough for that rod) and love it.

I have the 8 wt. version and have worked it out on king salmon, steelhead and bass. Drag smoothe and strong, good buy but I wish they would make it in black.

Finally I found someone else that uses this great reel. I have been using my venture5 on streams in colorado for 1 1/2 yrs now and love it. I was a little wary at first with the low cost and shiny finish. Has anyone noticed reflection into the water spooking any fish?

I found the #7 very usless as have 2 of my friends, the drags do not hold up well on Michigan salmon and steelhead after one season the reels were shot( drag) I was very dissipointed when the reel crapped out on me while I was out of state on a fishing trip....I am not your average fisherman my total combined steelhead and salmon catch were well over 500 fish last season.....( yea I fish a lot)....this year is Ross all the way!!

YOU PAY FOR WHAT YA GET

just my 2 cents

Wow ... 500 big fish a season ... that's industrial fishing! My reel has been on several trips since I posted this thread and the reel is still a trooper but I just use if for typical Rainbows and Browns (18-23 inches) on the San Juan and the Rio Grande here in New Mexico. It's only helped haul in aroung 100 fish in the last 6 months. I'd love to burn my drag out on 500 a season! biggrin.gif

Sign in to follow this