Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Black Bear Hair

Just got some black bear fur from a friend and have never used it to tie a fly. I must say I messed around with it for awhile and created a fairly decent hellgramite fly that should work quite well. I'll get a pic and a report of my success with it soon.

Anybody use bear hair?

i know it is quite glossy and is very, very nice for streamer patterns. It is also great as a winging material or for black gloss sheen used on the backs of baitfish imitations, especially black dace and chub minnows. I do know that the hair is solid, so it is not bouyant like deer or elk hair. tyr it and let me know how it ties. I have heard it can be a booger to whip...kinda smooth and slick i guess.

I use Black Bear for Salmon Patterns. It is very easy to work with, the biggest problem is removing the underfur. Black Bear hair color ranges from dark brown to black in color and the pelts I have are not all glossy black, only the guard hairs are.

so it ties well? have been considering trying some bear streamers myself..may have to tie a few myself. thanks for the input!

I've used some black bear, mostly for streamers & salmon flies. It also ties some nice hair jigs for Smallmouth bass.

If I have a choice, I prefer to use black dyed Grey Squirrel tail instead of bear as it's generally easier to obtain and finer textured.

Nothing wrong with using the bear if you have it.

Guest Guest

I love it for salmon and streamer patterns. Don't throw away the underfur as it makes fantastic dubbing; underfur can even be used as an undulating tail or winging material in a wet if sparsely bunched, wound on, teased or combed out and more added, dependent on pattern size.

goona try to get to the local shop this weekend...i know they have a little bear around in the back...think i'll try it!!!

Yep, use it quite a bit. It's my prefered wing material if I want black. Works great. You do have to brush out the underfur (like mentioned) but not that big of deal. If you're lucky, you'll get a big bear (like what I get access to) and you rarely have to pick out the underfur. You can trim to length and toss out the extras. I don't hunt bears. I get most of my supplies from my buddies who do. I know all the stuff I get is shiny. I don't get dull hair. Not sure what the deal is. I do know I'm running low. May have to head down and get those three pelts from my buddy (one elk, one muley, and one black bear).

QUOTE (Steelheader69 @ Aug 26 2003, 01:01 PM)
May have to head down and get those three pelts from my buddy (one elk, one muley, and one black bear).

Like Smallie said recently: Jealousy is so ugly!

p.s. - i hate you! ohmy.gif tongue.gif wink.gif smile.gif

LOL Dfix. Say it this way, the "free pelts" came with years of hard work. You couldn't imagine how many quartered elks and other animals I've packed out of the woods for my friends. They of course helped me too. But normally if I dropped one, I would have mine quartered and packed to camp by the time those bozo's showed up to help. biggrin.gif I don't hunt much anymore, but I give out enough free flies, give advice, or have schooled enough guys to boot that they always think of me first when they drop a deer, elk, or bear. But, next one I get I may divy up amongst certain people who DON'T hate me. tongue.gif I do have to pay to tan them. I prefer professional tans so there is no mistake on molding or rotting. Rather safe then sorry. But, in end, I get them much cheaper then I could ever get in the stores. I gave away a ton of elk. One hide will last me a couple years (most people a lifetime). Still have some left. But only a few big pieces.

Steelie -

Good to be able to Yuk around every so often!- some sites get way bent out of shape if you do, as you know... rolleyes.gif

Yeah, that's generally the way it works; barter and exchange services with one another; nice to have equitable exchange rates smile.gif

Yuk Yuk Yuk. j_k.gif biggrin.gif

You never know, maybe my next trip down, if I have enough, I'll make you guys a deal. Just have to wait and see. Will be heading down my buddies way next weekend. So hopefully I'll have the pelts. May be able to cut off pieces for everyone once they're tanned.