Fly Tying
-=TroutMaster=-

Easy Fly to tie

The first fly I learned to tie was a wooly bugger, but I definitely agree with the other posters who said to make sure that the flies you tie are flies that you actually want to fish.

One of the first flies I learned to tie was "Jons Generic", a nymph that is a pretty simple tie and I have found it to be very effective on trout. You can find the website here.

What ever you decide on pick a couple flies that interest you, stay away from too many elbows, eyeballs and arseholes for now. One nymph and one with hackle. Now tie 100 of each, get them all to have the same proportion and size. Hang out at your local fly shop especially if it has a table, tie some bugs. Soon several people will be helping you with hints and suggestions. Worst case you meet a few people to fish with. As you go you will pick up dexterity and durability. Every one of us sat down to a "first" fly, once you catch a fish on one of your creations you will know one of the best feelings there is.

Cheers, Futzer

Fishaholic

I am not surprised to hear you are catching fish on the Partidge and Orange. The Partridge series of flies are not really what you would call "attractor" patterns. They catch fish because they look like emerging or egg-laying caddis. They truly do match-the-hatch.

Personally, the easiest pttern i can tie is a mickey finn. You need silver tinsel, yellow buck tail, red bucktail/and silver wire.Streamer hook is used. Take your tinseland wire and tie them on the shank of the hook starting on the back of the fly. wrap the tinselalthe way up leaving a little space to tie on the bucktail. Then you take your wire and wrap it on top of the tinsel up to where you tied off the tinsel and tie that off the wraps on the tinsel not over lapping but no gaps. Keep your wire spaced though. Now its time to tie on the bucktail. take a small amount of yellow on then about the same amount of red and take another piece of yellow and tie that on the side. Yhis should make a kind of skunk pattern. yie a neat head and whip finish apply head cemeant. Look up Mickey Finn fly on google images and that will show you what it looks like.

The easiest fly to tie in my opinion is the Globug. Just the plain ole yarn globug