Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
seanrus

Caddis in flight?

I'm seeing bugs coming off the water on my local trout stream and I think it caddis flies, but I'm not sure. These bugs have 2 sets of wings and fly with 1 wing set higher then the other looks like their bottom half is dragging below their head.What do caddis flies look like when there are in the air? I've googled caddis flies in flight but see as I'm on dial-up and You tube being the only good hit I don't know if I'm going to ever get to see just 1 with any detail.

Very erratic fliers; here there, here there. Up and down, hit the water, here there.

Mayflies hang their rear, but they are much more graceful in flight.

here's a field guide to flight patterns:

mayfly = Mazda Miata with Christie Brinkley at the wheel

caddis = 1978 Pinto with a bad clutch

stonefly = 18 wheeler with 7 flat tires and a bad muffler

The ones you saw may have been females dropping eggs. May flies usually have long tails,and have upright wings like little sails on the water. Caddis don't have tails and look "buzzy" in the air, and have back swept wings, tented over their back at rest. Stoneflies look like flying cigars and have long wings that lie flat on their backs at rest.

Were the fish moving to them? Try to get something the same shade and pick something one size smaller than you think they were. (Bugs flying around on the stream often appear to be larger than they actually are when you get them in your hand). This might be a daily event for the next few days, so you may want to get suited up and hit the water if you can. Good luck!

peregrines

Maybe it is stoneflies but I've never found stonesflies on the bank or on me. I've seen loads of pics of both bugs at rest Troutnut.com has tons of them. But can't find any pics in flight. I have caught caddis that landed on me they look smaller and darker than what I'm seeing in the air. Here everything I know about them. First seen them the second week of June and the hatch seem to peak the first week of July. They have 2 visible sets of wings. They are the biggest bug I've seen on the river. Trout will take a size #10 Stimulator tied with peacock and green body for them ( well I think that what the trout are taking them for) and I can't catch one LOL. :hyst: I'm going to have to break down and buy a butterfly net with a long handle. Man are the other fisherman going to laugh at me :blink:

Seanrus

A hatch chart for Nova Scotia, closest I could find for PEI

http://www.troutnovascotia.ca/hatch.htm

Rivers will vary in terms of the types emergence of insects of course, but the likeliest suspect might be a golden stone based on size 8-10 and mid- June thru mid July hatch. Along with the Big Black Stoneflies which can get up to around a #6, they are the biggest stuff on the streams I fish. Most caddis will tend to run smaller than a 10. There are some mayfly drakes (Eastern Gray, Hex, E. Green Drake, Brown Drake etc.) that get size 10 and larger, that also emerge around that time, but you likely would have noticed the long tails and delicate flight. Mays also have very small hind wings, whereas stones have front and rear wings about equal size, and look like an out of control dragonfly in flight. They usually crawl out of the water and you should see their nymph shucks on shore and rocks. They’ll hang out in tall grasses during the day and start flying around trying to get lucky and doing the egg laying thing starting at dusk , and going into the late hours at night. Fishing can be great after dark. BTW, that Stimulator is a good stone imitation, and you can drift or actively skitter it to imitate the naturals. I'd go with a yellow one for the goldens, and a smaller 16 for little green stones if you have them too, though the greens don't seem to be as prolific, and don't move fish the way the goldens do, at least that I've seen.

Here are some drawings of stones in flight:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...=image&cd=1

Here’s a pic of a golden stone with wings out:

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/782

If you have a local fly shop, they should be able to nail it, and give you a better idea of the hatches and times of emergence. Around the waters I fish, the Golden Stones, Big Black Stones, Green Drakes (and some minor hatches of other drakes) come off around the same time in early June, which is probably a bit ahead of you by a couple of weeks because you’re further North. Also, because stones have a multiyear life cycle, you should be able to find some nymphs in riffles, if you want to roll some rocks and confirm their presence in the stream, but they’ll likely be smaller since the ones you’ll find now won’t hatch till next year.. 2 tails, 2 wing pads, brown top, yellow/goldish on the bottom, flatter top to bottom more than round bodies.

Hope this helps,

peregrines

I agree that is sounds like stoneflies are what you are seeing.. Caddis are as stated very easy to distinguish in air by their erratic flight pattern. You usually wouldn't be able to see the wings well enough to count them most often.

Thanks guys stoneflies it is, most likely golden stones. If it ever stops raining here I'll look for some nymphs. The biggest reason I thought it was Caddis was other fisherman were calling them caddis. thanks again for every ones help.

Good Day,

If it kind of looks like a moth... probably a caddis. Solid not translucent wings, probably a caddis. And as Dave mentioned, erratic flight pattern, probably a caddis. Mayflies and Stoneflies have a more determined flight pattern, not so erratic.

Steelie