Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MIKE*A

I'm heading to the Cape........

Hey guys,

First......thanx for the great reports/photos. I look forward to those every morning! I'm heading up to Pembroke on Saturday for two weeks. I know you guys are in peak season right now, but was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm coming up on a family vacation so will more than likely have my 11 year old son in tow and probably my 9 year old daughter (she loves tying flies, but hasn't picked up on the fishing yet). I am a little intimidated about jumping into the surf w/my fly rod and battling the crowds, wind, waves, etc. Would you have any recommendations for some areas that might be "beginner friendly"? Maybe some wadeable backwater areas, bays, flats, that type of place? I am certainly not worried about "trophies", if I were fortunate enough to pick up a couple "schoolies", I would be in heaven! Any good restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanx in advance,

Mike

Mike, where exactly are you going to be?...Pembroke is about 1/2 drive to the Cape bridge and another 1/2 hour to Chatham. I would need to know what you are planning and how much time you will devote.

Mike:

You will be about 3/4 hours drive to mid-cape. I can suggest two areas and I'm sure others will add to it. First, on CCBay side, is Chapins Beach in E.Dennis - just off Rte.6A. Fishing has been excellent for Stripers and Blues are being taken now too. It's about a half-mile walk from parking lot to West end of beach and the Bass Hole. Chapins is a barrier beach and forms the East end of Barnstable Harbor. There is a big estuary behind the beach that pours out on the going tide forming the hole.

Second though is Hardings Beach in Chatham. Another barrier beach with the Stage Harbor estuary behind it. Again about a half mile walk from parking area to entrance to Stage Harbor. Monomoy's North Island will be on your right with Stage Harbor to your left. I've had good luck here for Bass and Blues.

Best tides at both beaches have been last 2 hours of going and first two of coming tides. Neither beach will be crowded, unless you hit them on a Saturday or Sunday but even then, evenings or early mornings should be fine.

My most successful flies have definitely been 3"-5" Clousers in Chartreuse/White, All White and All Chartreuse. Both beaches lend themselves to fishing in shorts unless it is cold. I've fished both with only sneakers too. So far neither has been closed to the Ploving Pipers, but that could change. Be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. Be sure and let us know how you do while here.

John,

Unfortunately, this is a FFF (forced family fun) vacation w/some of the in-laws tagging along......fishing will be taking a backseat. i will probably be able to sneak away for a couple half-day trips.......just don't know what days yet. I'm kind of looking at this as a "scouting mission". With my brother back living in the area for the next several years, I'll have plenty of time to get back for some "fishing trips".

Bill,

Thanx for the input, I will definitely get over to those areas and check them out.....can't wait. I have been following all the reports you guys have been posting and have stocked up on my clousers......Also tied a bunch of bunny strips in various fishy colors......Do you guys use those much?

thanx,

Mike

Bunny strips are fine... anything that has that good tail movement is a plus...If you do find your self in chatham...give me a call. E-mail me if that is one of your plans and I will send you my phone number.