Fly Tying
DHise

Favorite hackle pliers

What are your favorite hackle pliers? I like the ones that dont cut the stem while I'm twisting it up. The C&F hackle plier is one of my favorites. I like C&F products. The Japanese sure know how to do things right.

All of these "what is your favorite xyz" posts have got to stop! I keep discovering things I don't have. :help:

Or I suppose I could quit reading them... :rolleyes:

Sorry for the hijack. Now back to your regularly scheduled posting...

Eric

I actually never use hackle pliers. I always seem to break the stem and I think I get more accurate wraps without them. I just use my fingers. May be if I had a better pair I would use them more.

You must not have big, fat FINGERS! :D

I always use cheap almost everything... I tell myself that it's because I don't want to know what I am missing. I have a pair of cheap rotating hackle pliers that really helped me to keep my stems intact and the feathers on target.

C

I've never found a pair I like very well. most either slip or cut the hackle for me. I'll have to check out the C&F ones.

Greg

E-Z Mini Pliers

IPB Image

Similar to the Radio Shack test clips, except E-Z pliers don't fall apart while you are using them.

I have used a DIEFFENBECH Artery Forceps Straight 6 cm (artery clamp) for years. No broken hackles. You do not see these in the average store.

DIEFFENBECH Artery Forceps Straight 6 cmIPB Image

post-3361-1218674124_thumb.jpg

Like glm38, I have never found a pair of hackle pliers that I have been completely happy with. When Whiting started marketing saddle hackles in dry fly sizes,that are anywhere from 6 to 12 inches long,I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!! The best hackle pliers I can remember having were a pair of Thompson "Duplex" pliers,back when I first started tying. These had a rubber jaw opposite a serrated brass jaw,and gripped a hackle like sheer death!! ......Don't know what ever became of them!! I bought a "knock off" pair several years ago,burt they are not even close to being as good as the originals! These days,I'll bet I have 10 or 12 pliers,in every style imaginable. If I can't use my fingers,I just keep trying different pliers 'til I find one that won't cut the fearther I happen to be working with!!

Sulfernut

I use the old English style pliers, I think I paid $1.00 for them.

The same as TroutBum, but I paid about $1.80.

I want some of those artery forceps.