Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tompa

Simple tubes and salmons

:D Hi all

Seasons is ending now and I have just one more weekend left in Norway. The last trip I had a problem. The river was running a bit high and I couldn't make the salmons bite. I needed to get my fly down a bit to slow it down. I didn't bring my 15' rod this time just my 12,6' GLX Stinger so heavy sinking lines was no nice option.

So I tied theese flies instead and they worked fine. The body is made up of 2 tungsten coneheads, I also added a little hackle and flash as a tail but you don't need that. Then the rest of the fly is just wing and soft front hackle. The patterns are Thunder&Lightning and a dark version of den vanlige.

The Black&Yellow one worked best with 6 salmons between me and a friend. I believe that the thing that makes the fly good is that the tungsten cones make it cut through the surface immediately, and if the leader is correctly turned over and stretched the fly will start fishing directly. I also found out the the weight of the fly helps turning over the leader when it's a bit windy.

Try this one guys I know it works :headbang: :headbang:

post-1781-1218999495_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1218999507_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1218999526_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1218999546_thumb.jpg

Nice flies............but, i'm compelled to ask............did you kill that fish? mark

:D Hi all

Thank you for the kind words. As I see it the fly tyers in the salmon steelhead part of the forum are really putting together some good fishing flies and that's what it's all about for me.

MARK: I missed your previous question about what double hooks I used for the "Collection flies". The hook is SALAR designed by M.Frödin and manifactured by Partridge. Comes in size 11 to 3 i think and in gold, silver and black. Flies look great on them and they hook well WHEN THE FLY IS IN THE SWING. When the cast is all done and the fly is sort of hanging 180 degrees downstream they don't hook that well, from my experience.

As for the salmons they both died from natural causes :D :D :D

OK bad joke. But i usually practice catch&freeze 2-4 times each season on freshs springs.

Since food is my profession I for one recognize the true value for wild atlantic salmon as food. Since farming salmon is a much more greater threat to the wild atlantic salmon then fly-fishers ever will be I have taken my stand. Sea lice infestions from farms kill huge amount of smolt every year. The wild salmons food are being fished out as fodder to the farms and not at least, inbreeds from salmon farms a running away in masses causing genetical defects as they breed with the wild salmons.

That is why I have outlawed farmed salmon(and wild salmon) in my restaurant. If i.e a sous chef were to buy farmed salmon at "special price for you" when I was away I would tell him to look for another work. HONESTLY.

Regards THomas