Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CreationBear

Best Hackle Buy for #12-16 Dries?

I was wondering if any of you gentlemen had any thoughts on which saddle(s) I should buy. I tie all dries (Wullf's, Trudes, and the like) size 12 to 16, so I'd need a saddle that had a pretty even size distribution, but the colors don't have to be fancy: grizzly, brown, ginger ought to do me.

I've been looking at the Metz Microbarb #2 Grade and the Whiting Herbert Miner offerings--they seem roughly in the same price range--but would definitely like to hear your thoughts on which you thought was the best buy.

Thanks! :D

Whiting silver grade. You can get full saddles, half saddles, quarter saddles, or even 100 packs (which are already sized).

I use both brands,and like them both,but for this particular set of parameters,I'd have to lean toward the Whiting stuff!

Sulphernut

CB,

yeah, whiting saddles would be the way to go for the range of sizes you're looking to tie. Saddles from other folks may have a more limited # of 16's. Either silver or bronze grade, but there may not be much difference in price, so you'd be better off with silver if that's the case. Figure the silver would tie about 50% more flies than a bronze. Because 1/2 saddles are cut down the middle you'll get a symetrical cut with a full range of sizes.

But 1/4 saddles are cut both horizontally and vertically, so you may end up with one that has a limited # of 16's or #12's if it comes from the bottom or top half, so go with the whole or 1/2 saddle. You'll get more in the size range you're looking for, plus a few smaller and larger. Shop around for the best price, because they seem to be all over the place, with some bronze 1/2 saddles more than silver 1/2 saddles, and in some the grades aren't mentioned at all....

I'm sure that fish couldn't care less, and it may not matter to you at all, but some of the whitings may be dyed (especially browns and duns). Many folks prefer natural colors, just for aesthetics, so if you care, you may want to ask specifically for undyed natural colors and see if they have them in stock.

Good luck!

peregrines

Thanks again--that was a great distinction between the 1/2 and 1/4 saddles...I'd seen quarter saddles labeled "ties mostly x" before, but hadn't considered the reason.

like others said go whiting. and as for size between half and 1/4 saddles here is some thing to think about are you a pro tier if not do not get any thing bigger then a half. 1/4 should do you just fine and yes they will tie down to mostly 16 on and 14 on certain capes. best way to judge is bring a hackle gage to your local shop and do not take out the staple but measure most of the hackles with the gage and find the saddles you like best. i got a saddle in silver that all it ties is 16's perfect for me but you maybe not. any ways you can get 5-6 flies per hackle strand. so if there is 100 on a 1/4 saddle then are you going to tie 600 flies with that color maybe in your life time but not in a week. unless your a pro tier filling orders. any ways good luck and tight lines rhino...............btw i like one size smaller for my dries because of build on the tie in spot were you wrap the hackle just a tip

Another option that I use quite often is the whiting 100's pack. They are sized for you and you get roughly 100 flies in that size. I get capes or saddles for multi use feathers in multiple sizes, but for specific application I typically go with those 100 packs.

C