Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Zarabanda Fly

Charlie Frog

After a looooong time of just lurking around this fabulous forum, I want to share this new fly I designed to catch unwary bass down here in Mexican waters.

Hope you guys like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one in the photo was made using a 4/0 salmon hook but have made a lot more using way smaller hooks (#10's and #8's).

Still have to try the smaller sizes for rainbow trout in ponds near home. Bet they will be killers!!!!!!!

That is awesome! I know a ton of places that i could catch a ton of fish on it. I dont under stand the directions, though. What is a foamy? Do you think you could do a step by step for it?

WOW great looking frog I would imagine that with thous front lag-es like that it would make some great action in the water. Did you cut the lag-es out or do you have a lag cutter for that??

once again great job!

tyrite

Thanks for your kind words guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Saturday I went fishing with some friends to a trout pond and carried with me some of the larger frogs to show off to my friends. Out of a whim, I tied one of the smallest I had with me and cast it out to the trout. As soon as it hit the water it was viciously attacked but... the frog was too big for the fish!!!!!!!! They just started bouncing it around while my friends cheered and I laughed my rocks off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is why I just started to make some smaller ones for the rainbows.

If you are willing to wait for me till Saturday I'll make some time to make a step by step photo shoot of this pattern (Got a good camera but I'm a lousy photographer).

By the way, I designed this frog for a fly swap we are conducting down here in Mexico in our Fishing Forum. The last head count gave us almost 10,000 members from Latin America, Spain and some USA Spanish speaking members.

mswaterfowler:

It's not "a foamy", it's "foamy"!!!!!!! Closed cell foam (in 8 1/2 x 11" sheets) is used for arts & crafts and comes in a great array of colors and at least two thicknesses that I know of.