Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joshto19

Name of Technique ?

I need help in trying to find the name of a technique I saw posted here many months ago.

The technique is for dry flies and invloves tying in a mono loop, wrapping the hackle up the mono post, (through the loop 3 times, around the loop twice, and back through twice) then pulling the hackle down and cinching the mono loop down and then finish the fly.

I have got the technique down and have been having great success with the fly but when I was asked the name of the technique I drew a blank???

If anyone could provide the name or a link it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Josh

Josh, I think this is the term hackle stacker. I could be wrong but that is what it sounds like.

Winefly

Thanks to the both of you.

Winefly, HackleStacker was what I originally searched for but got no results. We are on the same page though.

The step by step of Roys pattern was exactly what I was looking for (or looking at in the past) however even Roy does not seem to give a name to this technique. I believe "reverse parachute" referrs to a pattern and/or the order you tie the pattern. But does the actual mono loop wing technique have a name ??? If not it should!

Thanks all

Josh

Actually, after reading that, the Hackle Stacker is a different technique although very similiar. Only difference is with the hackle stacker you wrap the mono loop then tie off, for the technique I am referring to you wrap the mono loop then close the loop or "clinch" the hackle as you draw down the mono loop....

I hope that makes SOME sense.

Here is the technique I am referring to.

http://www.smallstreams.com/phpBB3/viewtop...f=20&t=2237

Again, thanks for all the help.

Josh

I have never seen that technique before. But I thing that it is one of the most unique one that I have ever seen. I will for shore do it!

Thanks For posting.

tyrite

OK....

it is not a paraloop. The paraloop process is much more recent and I have never gotten used to it. I am very conservative in my old age.

It is not a hackle stacker; it is the ancient 1930's parachute loop style of parachute hackling. I reversed it - as seen in ye olde Tying Emergers by Schollmeyer and Leeson - then improved it :P

Minimum materials required - 4 - hook, thread, nylon, hackle

I simplified the original process and use a piece of mono as a rib and then continue it into the loop- less materials etc.... .

Sometimes I use tinsels/wires or no ribbing at all - then I just tie the loop in under the thorax.

The step-by-step on Smallstreams.com, by Dennis, is excellent.

The fly is designed to land right way up and sink your tippet.

There is a thread dedicated to it here too... including the link for step by step..

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=34787

I tie these down to size #32

Any queries, please get in touch here.... here is a good place :D

or by email I'm at [email protected] that's .co.uk right!!!

It is deadly and I use virtually nothing else for fish seen feeding at the surface.

Let me know how you get on with it,

Roy

Wow... Ask a question and get the answer strait from the horses mouth. (No offence Roy) How cool is that!

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Josh