Fly Tying
kschu

Barbless or not for swaps?

Are your swap flies barbless or barb intact?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just like motorcycle helmet laws, I'm for freedom of choice. The thing is, over the last few years I have replaced almost all my smaller trout hooks with barbless so I had to go with varies. If my hooks have a barb the go out with a barb but get smashed before they go in my box. If it's a bigger hook like streamer of salt the barb is often too hard to get rid of without literally grinding them off, and I've done that on a few for myself. I have gone to almost all barbless in my fishing but just like using a spinner on a fly or casting with bass equipment I'm no purist, just find it easier to get small hooks out. Bigger hooks are not the problem since you can get a good grip on them, push them down and slide out the hook track. Not so easy on size 10 and smaller so those are barbless for me, varies for you on swaps.

Wow, VC!!! Are you this far behind in your reading, or did you just decide to dredge up an 11 year old poll?

The old poll bits annoying as I dislike polls generally but the topic is worth re raising.

Lots of new swappers and I always think to leave my barbs on so I'm not forcing barbless on people that may not want it. Also I think many many people will find barbed hooks easier and cheaper to buy.

I leave the barbs on mine, except the ones going to Mike in a swap, since I know how much he hates barbed hooks

I leave the barbs on mine, except the ones going to Mike in a swap, since I know how much he hates barbed hooks

Has anybody ever told you how funny you are, Agn?

I didn't think so !!!

LOL

Hey Mike, I didn't dredge it up. It was right there near the top. What I can't understand is the post before mine is 2004 so that must mean somebody placed a vote without a post. Tricked me. I'd be willing to bet there's a lot of newbies (like me) since 2004 and a lot of guys slid by the wayside on the way.

I will often squash my barbs when tying just out of habit (just in case I hook myself). I do understand it's a preference thing though, and I try to remember to leave them on when tying for swaps.

Has anybody ever told you how funny you are, Agn?

I didn't think so !!!

LOL

People always say I'm funny looking, does that count?

No, it doesn't count. I don't count it when Wife tells me that ... so it can't count for you, either.

I crush the barb if I am using beads, but otherwise I leave the barb intact. In my area, all rivers and streams require barbless hooks, as well as many lakes, so when tying my personals, the barbs get crushed in the vise before I even wrap the thread on.

Ken,

I leave my barbs intact for a couple of reasons. 1) I'm lazy 2) Barbless is a very personal preferance 3) If I need barbless then a smash them down for the river that I'm on for the day 4) It runs close to a soapbox issue in that "WE SHOULD ALL FISH BARBLESS....", I don't mix fishing with politic type issuses.

Art

....echo

Most of the hooks that I purchase are barbless so that's what I mostly tie on so that's what goes in the swap box.