Fly Tying
dafack01

What's the best fly box for streamers?

What's the best way to store streamers? I've kinda tried putting them in a small tackle box so I can have my flies and my terminal tackle for my spinning/casting gear in the same spot, but I'm not so sure that that's a good idea. It's too easy for water to fester in there, rusting hooks and bleeding onto flies. Not to mention it's too easy for them to shift around and get all bent and folded up.

But with the fly boxes I've tried, with any long-term use they just don't hold flies anymore and they end up falling out all over the fly box.

What do you all use for your streamer box?

Cliffs Bugger Barns for a large box or the C&F and Orvis (Flambeau) waterproof streamer boxes are really nice.

I'll have to check those out. Thanks!

I forgot to add, they'll have to stand up to saltwater. For the most part that's all I'll be doing.

I just saw a "cliff's bugger beast" too which is a much bigger version. Now I just need to figure out if I'd prefer several smaller boxes or one monster box. Maybe one skinny water box and one with heavier weighted flies.

The Cliffs Bugger Barn is by far the best streamer box I have ever used. I have 2 and would like to purchase 2 more when finances allow.

One with a lid??? :) Cliff's is a great box! But, it is slightly bulky. If you are looking for something smaller. Okuma makes a killer box that is brushed aluminum. It comes with the clips on both sides. For 3 or 4 dozen flies, it's not too shabby. Plus, it's about $30-$40 cheaper than a Wheatley. -Jamie

I use the CF SW box, which can fit in the front pocket inside my waders, or in a fanny pack. I also use a plain old clear 6 compartment box (no foam), with flies in small narrow clear plastic "fly sleeves" that are about

1 1/2" wide and 9 1/2" long. I slip a streamer in, and fold over the end of the sleeve. You can fit a ton of deceivers, clousers etc in each compartment, one to a bag. It keeps them from fouling and getting all snarled up. Just don't put them back wet. Throw them in the CF to dry out. You can find the fly sleeves in some fly shops for about $3.50/100.

peregrines