Fly Tying
CreationBear

Woodchuck sources?

I've found myself tying a lot with woodchuck lately, but unfortunately, I can burn through a typical "patch" pretty quickly (I only need the guardhairs for tailing, etc.) I was wondering if any of you gentlemen had a more cost efficient source...

Thanks! :)

I was going to suggest White Fox Fur and Feather but not sure if they are still in business.

Hhhhhhmmmmmm... I would say, about $.01-$.06 for a 22 cartridge, with about $.50 for tanning... That is the recipe for obtaining a wood chuck...

I bought my last woodchuck skin on eBay. But they aren't offered frequently. PM me and maybe we could arrange a swap of some sort.

Roadkill, roadkill....did I mention roadkill? I used to carry a pair of gloves, an x-acto knife and borax in the trunk. Best source. best price. :) :D :D :D

Ha...there are a few whistle-pigs here in East Tennessee, but not so many as we had up in Pennsylvania. If y'all know of anything that can be done with possum, however, I'd be in luck...too bad they're not of the Australian variety.

Coffin furs. These guys are great and honest folks. They had at one time taken the order and shipped it with an invoice. They also take Paypal.

I love groundhog and use a lot too. I found that the stuff that you can fine tanned looses some of it's oilyness so i go with the dried skin now only. I lso like to mix in half tail hair and half body hair which really gives you a nicer barred effect if you stack it for tailing. The stuff doesn't flare and is real resistant to damage from fish.

Don't toss the underfur! Some of it gets a real nice burn't orange to it which I like to mix with possum.

I had a Whippet (looks like a greyhound) years ago that could run so fast and was so mean she could catch them going down the holes in the yard. We called her "Lady" but was anything but! The trick was getting it away from her.

T

Thanks for the lead! I'll have to try leaving some of the underfur in for my tails...like you, I really like the barred effect--I think 'chuck is a great compromise between hackle fibers and moose, which always bothered me as being too stiff. (Although the fish, of course, seldom mind.)

BTW, that was one tough little whippet--a big woodchuck might have outweighed her... :)