Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishCrazy

UP of Michigan

Howdy all, I haven't been here for over a month. I'm planning a trip to the UP Michigan with some friends, and was hoping for some advice on good areas for camping and trout fishing. We have been looking at the Hiawatha Nat. Forest - the Western unit around Munising - is that a good area in general? I would welcome suggestions for any particular places or rivers to visit, even though we may end up just picking a random location.

I don't when you are going and my U.P. geography isn't the greatest but if you don't mind driving into Canada I've heard the Pinks in the Garden River over Labor Day is awesome fishing. They're smaller than Kings, Coho and Chinook but I've heard they hit like a beast, are there in great numbers and a lot of fun.

You will be quite close to the fabled Fox. There are canoe liveries available. Most of the floats in the decent water are quite long and a 2 day trip almost a must if one plans to fish it. I seem to remember an 8 hour float.

The Seney Wildlife Refuge has several lakes that provide a decent pike fishery.

The Tahquamenon River has a good population of muskies. (Lower)

Personally I like the Keweenaw Peninsula.

If you camp in the western part of the Hiawatha Nat. Forest don't discount the many branches of the Escanaba River.

OSD.

Alright, thanks for all the advice guys. The Fox and Escanaba both sound good, and I'll probably be going pretty soon. Does anyone know what sort of hatches expect once I get up there?

When are you going up? I'm going to be up there the last week of July, if your making a late summer trip I can let you know what's going on.

Sign in to follow this