Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Cheap Fly Storage

Here is a very cheap way to store all of your extra flies. I have been storing all of my flies in the compartment style Plano boxes but the flies end up getting all tangled up and finding a certain fly or trying to get out a fly can be quite the adventure. I came up with this idea to make things a little more organized and keeps the flies looking nice.

I got a cardboard box with a fold down lid that measures 12 by 9 inches and is 2 inches deep, you can probably get these at any office supply store. I then added a sheet of foam I got from the craft store and it you want to really secure the foam many craft stores including Wal-Mart has sticky back foam that works well.

Then you just add your flies and you got yourself some nice storage for you flies for about a buck. cool.gif

user posted image

Great idea Will but what kind of trout flies are those in there? I've never seen a hatch to match those bugs. dunno.gif

Those Dahlbergs in the front might have their day wink.gif

That's a good idea. I need to revamp my stuff. Compartment boxes are cool, but you never really get to see what's in there. I ran into the same problem with my trolling spoons.

Dornug,

Trout flies???? blink.gif

You think I would go through that much trouble to neatly organize trout flies nono.gif

I don't want to take credit for this batch this is what I call my "Hubbard Box" which is some of the flies that he has sent me over the months.

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Jun 10 2004, 01:57 PM)
Dornug,

Trout flies????  blink.gif

You think I would go through that much trouble to neatly organize trout flies  nono.gif

I wouldn't either. Trout flies are for fishing, Bass flies are for storage. devil.gif

This bass smack talk is kinda fun. help.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Jun 10 2004, 01:57 PM)

I don't want to take credit for this batch this is what I call my "Hubbard Box" which is some of the flies that he has sent me over the months.

That would explain the colors...LOL bugeyes.gif laugh.gif hubbard.gif

Not to change the subject....but on the same wave length. I use floss storage boxes for my TROUT flies. they are like $3.00 at a craft store and hold over a dozen varieties. I have like a dozen of them for different types(dries, nymphs etc). It makes setting up for the river eaiser as then all that I have to do is pull what every box(es) I need for that day.

Art

I think Will took it too seriously when somebody said the bugs were "popping" off the water! bugeyes.gif

He gets a bit confused at times! devil.gif Mooning-Smilie.gif

Actually that idea may come in handy when transporting hex's from bench to camp!

fishinlk,

At least I don't need any floantant to keep them things riding high in the water. Mooning-Smilie.gif

Sign in to follow this