Fly Tying
cbinwindsor

My peacock herl is junk....

I find that when I buy peackock herl the good fethers are often few and far between. I really haven't cared up untill this point as I used it mainly for nymph bodies but getting into some new streamers has me wanting something decent.

Can you get "premium" peacock herl, is it just the luck of the draw or do you suggest a specific brand?

CB

Over the years the best peacock herl I have found is that from Feather-Craft in St. Louis, MO. By far the best quality herl anywhere. The folks there process and clean every strand of herl they sell.

Honestly the best source is from the bird itself. I have a friend who has a couple birds and he saves them for me, but I did buy some red and purple herl from cabellas that is pretty descent and not brittle.

I second the recommendation of Feather-Craft. I have some of their peacock herl, along with some from one of the major distributors (which I use when appearance isn't critical). The difference is stark.

Speaking of getting them from the bird..

In my area, Salt Lake City, we have an avaiary, that has a few peacocks.

The avaiary gives them to the public, all you have to do is get on their list.

You might try something like that.

Brian

I remember back sometime in the early 1980s being at the Pittsburgh Zoo and seeing a guy walking around with a literal fistful of Peacock tail feathers. Zoo staff stopped him so that they could inspect each and every feather for any signs of fresh blood, and they notified the guards at the exit to check again when the guy leaves. It was a wild scene for a pre-teen like myself!

Having said all that, don't forget to check your local craft store's peacock feathers. They usually keep a pretty high grade on hand because it's being used for "art".

It's funny how Fether-craft got mentioned. I've ordered and still order a lot of stuff from them and am very happy with their stuff. The only time I was really disapointed was when I ordered the their herl. A lot of the fibers seemed to be stripped badly but there were some very good ones as well. After awhile I noticed the quality seemed to be getting worse and I then noticed black "dust" collecting. That solved the problem for me as it indicated it was infested. Luckily it didn't spread and I never really identified what the pest was but they were very tiny almost invisibile to the naked eye. I just chalk up that experience to luck of the draw though and I'd still recommend their herl, just make sure to inspect it carefully.

Thanks gang. Sounds like there are more options than I realized! I'm sure that between all of these I'll be hooked up with some quality herl in no time.

Thanks again,

CB

i havent found feather crafts peacock herl to be the next best thing to sliced bread as it professed to be in their catalog. its simply ok stuff to me

For what it's worth, though I recommended the Feather Craft herl above, I should also note I bought mine from Feather Craft more than 5 years ago.

I can't say if their herl is the same quality today, and several others above indicate it may not be.

When you get herl that dont look quite right Steam them, just get you teapot going and then pass them through the flo.

I got this tip from Al Beatty.

Bill

all peacock herl is pretty fragile if you think about it,but listen to these guys they know what there talking about

I agree with iso18. but if you take three pieces and do them in a dubbing twist tool it will be a lot stronger and looks really good to!!

tyrite