Fly Tying
supaflygsr

bobbin and weavin

Had a new friend teach me how to weave on friday afternoon. So after all the school work my professors decided to hand out for the weekend i decided to try and expand my knowledge in the fly tying arts :D

For a swap on another site, so hopefully they receive a warm welcome!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

also learned that antron yarn doesn't seem to be the best material for weaving, but i'm happy with how they turned out. Just a few stray fibers here and there <_<

sorry for the pic quality but the dorm room doesn't offer great lighting :dunno:

learnin lots from this site fella's thanks for havin me aboard!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I would be ecstatic to get those in a swap they look awesome!

You should load those into the pattern data base.

Well Done

Great looking flies! Someday I want to try weaving too. I think this next Hatches Magazine might have an article about it. So, I might learn sooner than later!

Don't be afraid to experiment weaving with two different types of materials too. If you're careful you can weave herls as well.

Nice looking nymphs!!! With Weaving can create a lot of great looking flies. Another material to try if you are interested is ultra chenille it is great for large stones as well.

post-12553-1220895564.jpg

IPB ImageIPB Image

Here's a kind of 3 stranded weave with gills. I worked this technique out a few years ago to give a nice contrast on top of the fly, to enhance the appearance of segmentation and to help build a less flat profile that an overhand weave can sometimes create. I used small vinyl rib (d-rib) in olive, green, and brown. Size 18 tmc 205 hook.

AAA+AWESOME TIE!!! The transluscency of the segmentation combined with the irredescence of the dubbing really give this nymph superior life-like characteristics. Look closely as you might spy upon a heart beat before it swims away... :unsure: Again great tie & Thanks for sharing JRG!

P.S. Do you know of any online demonstration of your or any other three (3) strand weave as it would be greatly appreciated by myself as well as many other FTF Members/Visitors wanting to learn the procedure? Of that I'm sure! :rolleyes:

I Fly-tie for the relaxation; Flyfish for the freedom; Cast to the challenge; Land if I'm so blessed and Release to re-live it ALL!!

Thanks,

Jerome

My apologies supaflyqsr for not commenting on your superior ties as well as this is your post. My BAD. I can only dream of the capability of being able of turning out such oustanding nymphs after having just been taught to weave. My commendations to you and your friend as well "for he hath taught thee well" I shall definitely watch for your name in any future nymph swaps here in FTF as I would delighted to receive nymphs such as these! Thanks for sharing!

I Fly-tie for the relaxation; Flyfish for the freedom; Cast to the challenge; Land if I'm so blessed and Release to re-live it ALL!!

Great job supaflygsr. Weaving is a fun technique. And I also would like info on that 3 stranded weave JRG. That is a sweet technique.

Spanky

I'll try to post a step by step or something when I get a chance. It's not too difficult to do as it's basically an overhand weave and then you alternate going over and under the 3rd strand on top and the gill material on bottom.