Fly Tying
yeoldkiller

help with fall bass and muskie flys

post-11886-1221183069_thumb.jpgThis is a pattern I tied for large and smallmouth bass. It should work well in the fall.Allthough I live in the deepsouth our ideas of fall may differ. Simply substitute different colors to fit your water conditions and fish it sloooooow.

Check the pattern database for those particular species. If you don't find many for musky, check out flies for pike. They will work for musky as well.

My biggest suggestion as you get into fall is - think big. The predators are bulking up for the winter. And to match the hatch, the forage fish have had a season of growth on them, so they are no longer minnows. For the sake of your arm, because of the size, find materials that won't hold water and add weight to the cast.

Deeky

Tie up some Lefty's deceivers to match your forage fish. Any species that eats fish will hit a deceiver. I've caught everything from tuna to wild brook trout on them.

Don't know if muskie would be interested in a gurgler, but I definitely know bass in this area give me a lot of action. Easy to tie with all kinds of options with foam colors , body materials and lots of deer hair, and rubber legs. I switched to size 4 and 6 hooks and the bigger bass responded.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

Take a look at my website and you will find a plethora of flies for pike and muskies. Pick one you like and I will send it to you.No charge. We share knowledge why not flies,too! www.zerogravityflies.com or www.bigpikeflies.com Capt. John

I tie big(up to 14 inches) flies that are watershedding, lightweight, durable and castable.I cast my 14 inch flies with a 10 wt and 10 inch flies with an 8 wt. The placement of materials on the hook shank allows theses big flies to be completely non-fouling.bigtroutflies.com Take a look at my website and you should get a lot of ideas on colors,sizes and patterns .

post-16557-1221748241_thumb.jpg

I tie big(up to 14 inches) flies that are watershedding, lightweight, durable and castable.I cast my 14 inch flies with a 10 wt and 10 inch flies with an 8 wt. The placement of materials on the hook shank allows theses big flies to be completely non-fouling.bigtroutflies.com Take a look at my website and you should get a lot of ideas on colors,sizes and patterns .

post-16557-1222363577_thumb.jpg