Fly Tying
airedale

Could someone tie something like this for me?

Thanks Mike, its hard to say. I did the frame one night.then tied some swap flies.Then got busy on something else. off and on like that for a couple of days.I know wraping the digits with thread took almost an hour. I would guess 3 to 4 hours of semi serious tying.

wow...great job Fred. My wife thought it was real until I pointed out the hook also.

:headbang:

thanks deflyguy.the time involved is nothing compared to the nice comments I get from you guys here.

I've been using a tecniquefor the eyes I wanted to share.Notice in this picture that the eyes have a slit in the pupil in stead of the usual round pupil of a fish.What I did was take two standard holographic eyes I have gotten from our sponser. Fist I removed the decal and adhesive from the back of the eye with a bodkin. That leaves you with a clear eye. next place the eye on a sheet of paper and trace the outline. that gives you parameters to work within.Then draw in your pupil. when you are happy with it go over it with a black marker or paint. next chose and color for the rest of the eye.(this would work if you had some holo eyes and just wanted to change the color)After the paint or marker has had time to dry ,place a small drop of adhesive(super glue will work on the clear piece and set it over what you have drawn and cut out. This works I think well for frogs , lizards and snakes as there're no eyes made for them.But you can also custumize any fish or insect eye in the same way.post-11886-1222081158_thumb.jpg

Fred,

I am new to this forum and I am tying the Lizard using synthetic hair. I am packing the hair similar to packing with deer hair and coloring the pattern with an air brush.I am using 100 lb. nylon coated seven strand leader material that will allow the tail section to "swim" with the tail section moving from side to side.The legs and fingers are created with 20 lb. wire to allow some movement to those appendages,also. I am very impressed with your realistic creations! Are you related to Michaelangelo?

I was curious as to why you are using epoxy and not a clear acrylic polymer like "Tuffleye " because of your real job as a creater of dental products. Thanks, John "Bigtroutflies.com"

Fred,

I was curious if you could etch various fish pics. on my teeth? Maybe a big trout chasing a school of minnows for my upper teeth and on my bottom teeth some gravel and logs? Maybe 4 sets of dentures that could reflect the various seasons?John Bigtroutflies.com

wow BTF, that sounds like a great tecnique can't wait to see how it turns out.As for the tuffle eye I honestly forgot I had it .This is similar to a material we had years ago in the dental industry. it has the same charectoristics and flaws as its predecessor.I'm sure it would have worked in place of epoxy for this application though.

Fred

Fred,

I use Tuffleye in place of epoxy.I have switched over to it based on my conversations with Bob Popovics. I am not aware of any flaws with this acrylic polymer and would appreciate any knowledge you have regarding its' flaws. Please let me know what they are.I can tell you are a perfectionist ,as am I, and I do not want to use a product that could back and haunt me down the road.If my fishing buddies find these flaws, they would thoroughly enjoy telling me about for years to come.They have enough "dirt" on me as it is.I don't want them to have any more weapons to use against me.They would have too much fun reminding me.It is not that I would not deserve it! Thanks, John

John. the flaws for dental applications were horrindous. For fishing applications only bothersome.Because the acrylic polymer is not cross linked there is the high risk of the material becomming brittle with age.not a large concern for a fly.Because I paint a number of my larger realistic flies i find it somewhat bothersome to have to go through the extra steps to paint on this material.Once again not a big deal if your using clear.You said you do Popovic's flies? One good tip I learned was to vibrate the material once laid on the synthtic hair for a smooth no bubble finish.You can don this by holding the fly in a pair of hemostats and rubbing the stats back and forth with any tool with a knurled handle.

Fred

Thank you. I appreciate your advice. This forum has been enlightening to me with a large fraternity of extremely knowledgeable members! Thanks to all who have input on this site.John

Ok,Leif ,Tyrite, Flytyer Guy and bigtroutflies. How is everyone progressing ? Anyone ready to show us how your fly is comming together?

I'll maybe get a pic tonight, mine is coming slowly but surely. It should start going pretty fast once I get the body to the right shape. It takes a lot to build up a 7in.+ gecko.