Fly Tying
airedale

Thinking of a realistic contest

Realistic Contest or Not  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought that it might be a good idea to try a realistic contest. Like, the person in charge posts a picture of an animal, and people sign up, then everyone votes on the one they think is the most realistic. Just an idea. Tell me what you think.

I will host one if there is enough interest. Just tell me what you think would be the best prize and how you think it should work.

Looking back at some old post I saw that Graham and flytyerboy and others had done something like a informal contest like you are suggesting. It looked like a lot of fun.

I would love to see it happen again. Because with a group of tyers there is a chance to learn something.Not everyone is going to come up with the same sollution to a tying problem.

If everyone submits photos instead of the actual fly , then the prizes don't have to be that elaborate. I for one don't like spending hours on a realistic fly to send in for a contest. I would rather give it to someone who would enjoy having it. Just my thoughts.

Fred

I think if we picked a specie,such as a yellow perch,alewife,blueback herring,golden shiner,walleye rainbow trout .etc... and then have members tie and submit a fly that represents that specie,would be a great idea.

I have been tying realistic baitfish patterns for over 20 years.The fly should be castastable, lightweight, non-fouling, and have the correct 3 dimensional profile of the intended specie.The fly should also have the movement that fish have.A trout or perch swims with the head stationary while the tail section kicks back and forth as it moves through the water. I accomplish this by placement of materials on the hook shank.The fly must swim upright and not cant or veer off. The belly should have less material and the back and shoulders thicker to accomplish this movement.I am happy to share how I tie my flies with anyone.Let me know and I will explain my process.I love contests and by me sharing all I know it means more competition with equal knowledge.This forum( website) in my opinion,is intended to share knowledge and allows members to have more fun and on the water ,more success.Let's bring more creativity and ultimately more excitement to our shared interest, fly tying.I have a website that depicts many realistic baitfish imitations.Take a look at it and I know it can give all tyers more ideas.If you see a fly that you would like to tie, just contact me and I will share the recipe.Sharing knowledge is what,I believe, this website/forum is all about. www.zerogravityflies.com or www.bigtroutflies.com Knowledge is to be shared not kept secret.

I would also be happy to donate a half dozen of my realistic flies to the winner.Let's share what we know. It is the right thing to do.