Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
#10WhiteWolf

Help?....

I have only been able to fish for Salmon on the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY for two years, this being my second. Unfortunately due to our Country's current situation in Iraq and Afghanistan, they have not even been consecutive years.

I have collected bits of information from some of the locals and a few friends. Unfortunately, I think somewhere along the line I missed something crucial. Can anybody give me any suggestions? I'm looking for fly patterns per Species, importance of Line/Leader weight and colors, and presentation techniques.

I realize that basically I'm asking how to catch a Salmon, but I really have no idea what I'm doing and feel that I owe more to the Fish. Anyway thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can give me!

You don't need much in the way of flies......very simple flies will "work" and catch you all the fish you wanna catch........Purple Egg Suckin' Leeches and Stoneflies will work just fine. All the egg patterns work as well.......but i just can't fish with an egg.......... :D Might as well spin fish. Get the fly on the bottom and you'll do just fine. Swingin' Spey's (preferably of your own design) is the most fun for me. Up and across.....let it swing all the way down directly below you and then strip back and start over. Most hits will come at the end or near the end of the swing and or right after you start to strip back. 6 wt. rod is a lotta fun.....but you may wanna use something heavier to turn over bigger flies.......so have an 8 wt. with you. Thing is, to keep it as simple (leader, straight shot mono) as you can.......enjoy where you are, and not be to uptight bout how many fish you catch. The pros obviously know a whole lot more than i do, and catch a LOT more fish.....hire one one time and see how it goes.......lot of 'em will have you usin' and egg though. :P :lol: Much good luck. mark..... ;)

for salmon the fly isn't a bid deal......though I suggest changing colors frequently until something works....also take a peak at

www.salmoncrazy.com

If you have access to the latest copy of Lake Ontario Outdoors there is an article in there by Jay Peck and he talks about how it's usually the leader/line setup that catches fish, and not so much the fly. I don't see that article on the website though.

First and foremost....Thank you for protecting our country and our freedom!!

Flies that are good for all species:

Stoneflies - black, rust, brown

Hare's ears and prince nymphs (add a touch of hot color somewhere in the pattern......i.e. tail, thorax, wingcase)

large caddis pupa

comets - chartreuse, pink, orange

egg flies - take your pick, there's a ton to choose from

Wooly buggers and egg sucking leeches

estaz flies

The cohos seem to prefer bright colors like pink although the combination of red and black is good too.

Kings like bright patterns and dark patterns. I use bright patterns in the morning and switch to more natural looking flies during the afternoons.

Browns and steelies will take a variety of flies. Once they are in the river and know eggs are around they will hunt for them. They are also trout so don't be shy about swinging streamers and classic style flies....just hold on!! Flesh flies are good too!!

Good Luck!!

Frank

send me a pm if you have more questions.

I second everything Frank said. Just keep at it and they'll remind you what color your backing is. There really aren't too many fish in the river right now, but it will be coming soon . . . . .Then it's time for the steel!!!!

Dale, I'm going to have to somehow make it up to fish that river with you this year! If I start siphoning gas from the neighbors, I could possibly make the trip after I'm released from jail soon!

Dale, I'm going to have to somehow make it up to fish that river with you this year! If I start siphoning gas from the neighbors, I could possibly make the trip after I'm released from jail soon!

You're siphoning gas from the neighbors too? :D

Thank you for serving our country. Have a good selection of eggs, stoneflies, caddis, burrowing mayfly nymphs and woolly buggers. You want to be sure to get down to the fish so be sure to change your bobber depth and weight frequently.

Well Oatka, it's like this: I go fishing. You're welcome to come along. If you don't show up, I still go fishing. If you do show up, just park your car away from my truck so when the cops get there I can still get my truck out. . . . . :hyst:

If you don't show up, I still go fishing.

WHAT? you actually go fishing if I don't show up? I guess that's only fair since we haven't had the chance to ever fish together!

I gotta park close to your truck, so when I walk back to my car and see the cops, i can quickly steel your truck and make my getaway!

We had to pick my topic to talk about jail and theft, huh? :hyst: Thats ok. I recently had one of my Soldiers get arrested for stealing tires/rims. He took them out of someone's yard, and then put them on his own vehicle. The funny part is that the wheels he stole were more bald than the ones he already had and he is still walking around a free man, of sorts! ;)

Question, though fellas: How big is too big as far as hook size, and what is the smallest I should go? I have seen some people using what looks like friggan grapling hooks and I have seen some guys using what apeared from a distance to be about a #6 or so.

Also, what kinds of things can you tell me about leaders and tippet? I really feel like that is where I'm lacking the most. I know there can only be a four foot leader on a fly rod down there, but I'm concerned about line color and size of both the fly line as well as tippet and leader. I can't seem to figure out a good balance and still incorporate enough strength in the whole setup to hold up to the challenge.

I know guys who fish up there with flies as small as size 10 and 12.........egg patterns.......those are the guys who can't enjoy a days fishing without landing fish. I'd say a 3/0 spey fly is not something you'd wanna rule out. :D Your leader is gonna be determined by the size of the flies you wanna throw.....tippet anyway.....AND by the strength you need to land the fish. I just use straight mono.....really no tippet involved per say. I like to go light tackle........6 wt. rod, 12 lb. test. If i loose a fish........so what. Catch another. You may wanna go with a 9 and a half ft. or 10 ft. rod. or learn to Spey cast and try that. Folks do it. Get maybe a 13 footer 7/8 wt. to start. Have fun. mark..... ;)

(note to self: weld the door shut on Oatka's side . . . .)

If i waited for you to go fishing Oatka, I'd never get to go!!!!!

Wolf;

For salmon, most of the flys I tie are #8, 10 & 12 in the estaz/egg flys and up to #4 in the comets and streamer/bugger stuff. You don't need large hooks!! If you're after steel, I go as small as #14 on some of the caddis patterns. Heavy wire hooks are an awful good bet.

For leader/tippet, I use straight 20 lb mono for the leader and either 10 lb mono or 10 lb floro for the tippet. Salmon are not leader shy when they want to hit a fly. They are leader shy on the redds, but leave those fish alone and fish for the ones down-stream of the redds. Usually there's a steelhead down there vacuuming up eggs and you have a good chance of them eating a fly!! The steel are much more leader/tippet shy and I go as low as 6 lb floro depending on how clear the water is running. Once you get that stuff down (and it won't take long), hang on and get the camera ready!!

If you want to head out and fish, PM me and we'll see what we can set up. Just don't try to wait for Oatka . . . . . . . . .AND, lock your truck doors!!! ;)

If i waited for you to go fishing Oatka, I'd never get to go!!!!!

Sad, but true.

But, I might hit a local pond today for a few hours with my 21 month old son. Wish me luck! You're welcome to make the 2 hour trip and join me for some bluegill action!