Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Any saltwater guys here?

Hi guys. I found this site thru reel-time.com. I'm in NJ, living about 1/4 mile from the ocean. I fish for stripers, blues, weakfish, flounder, and albacore primarily. I'm really into some of the epoxy and silicone patterns that Bob Popovics has created, along with some of the blends that Steve Farrar has come up with. Take a look at aswf.org for some different patterns from these guys. Amazing stuff.

Most of my fishing is from land, ie...beach, jetties, and sod banks. I just got a kayak, so now i can get to some really good spots that were inaccessible before. I hooked into a nice striper the other day, and was towed around for about 10 seconds before it threw the hook.

Later dudes.

Doyle

Welcome to the forum doyle!

I haven't seen much saltwater talk on here as of yet, but spread the word and I'll set-up a special saltwater forum just for you guys!!!

I'm a saltwater guy in Florida, I'm originally from NJ and remember freezing my butt off on those jettys. It's far more comfortable down here. I'm on the central Gulf coast, just north of Tampa.

Most of the saltwater fishing I do is in brackish water here in MD, tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay & the bay also. Stripers primarily, but I'll fish for anything that's available.

I'm on the Gulf Coast just south of Tampa Bay. I can recall freezing my fingers off on opening day in many freshwater streams. Here I worry about heat exhaustion.

QUOTE (slenon @ Aug 10 2003, 07:23 AM)
I'm on the Gulf Coast just south of Tampa Bay.  I can recall freezing my fingers off on opening day in many freshwater streams.  Here I worry about heat exhaustion.

I'm not a Saltwater fisherman, my handicap won't allow me that pleasure, but I do tie a lot of Saltwater flies, to maintain my sanity when there are days that I can't get out.

So I'm hoping that this subject gets a lot a attention.

I will be posting pictures of my flies from time to time, unless it bores some.

Joe unsure.gif unsure.gif

Joe post away! That is what this forum is for to share patterns, idea, pictures, stories, etc. Feel free to post any pics you got and also feel free to post tying instructions so others can tie them. That's not good to hear that you can't get out anymore, but it's good your still connected to the sport by tying! Seen some of your pics and you got some skill! I had two re-constructive shoulder surgeries a few years back and was out of doing things outdoors for two solid years and my shoulders still are not the same. It drove me crazy!