Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingtaz

hairs flaring too much

I've been trying to tie up some stimulators, and I havent been using any elk or deer hair in quite awhile. Do I need to wrap it with less tension? cant keep the hair close, it wants to flare real bad. any help would be greatful.

use loose raps at the start,

gradually increasing pressure as you work towards the hook eye,or body,depending where u r on the fly.

then on your way back to tie in point,hold tips of the deer hair in left hand,and loosely move back to tie in point.throw a soft whip finish or a couple halk hitches and dab a small drop of super glue,let dry.tie in your hackle,dub thorax,whip finish head,hope this helps

shane

Do as Iso says. Pinch wrap, with a couple soft wraps, then increase the tension.

Also one more thing to consider, hair from different areas of a deers body flares more than others. I order my hair from Chris Helms and he always asks what you are going to do with it just for that reason. Look for straight hair that doesn't have that little wavy look to it for less flare.

deinately,Call Chris Helms.Like sawcat said.He is very helpful and in tune with his customers.

Whitetail Fly tieng supplies.

#419-843-2106

I called his place a few months ago and was on the phone with him for half an hour.He will ask what you need tha hair for,Pick u out exactly what you need,just tell him what you r doing and he will help,Helped with my tying of the dave's hopper tremendously,he is a very good and works hard for his customers.

shane

All good advice above.

If you want a great printed source of information, the chapter on hair in Charlie Craven's new book is, alone, worth the $40 price tag. It's the most comprehensive piece I've seen on the subject. On top of that, it's just a great book on tying with excellent photos. There's even an entire chapter devoted to Stimulators. I don't buy many fly tying/fishing books, but this is one I had to have.

It is all in the hair you select. Unwanted flaring usually is the thickness of the individual hair fibers at the tie point being large. Deer hair is honey combed internally and when tensioned with thread will exasperate the flare. Narrower shafts are the way to go, also body area of the animal makes a difference at how the hair flares. It will take much experience to really get it down. In the mean time two lightly tensioned wraps then crank down until the hair is securely tied down. Worst case make two wraps around the base of the hair itself and not the hook, like a wing post. Bottom line if the finished fly will let you twist the hair on the shank, it will not be durable when fished.

Practice makes perfect. good luck and ask questions.

Cheers, Futzer.