Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

How hard is it for a lait peson to design and host a web site

On August 12th I contacted a firm to create and maintain my website. So far they have purchased a domain name. The graphic design artist that was to create my web page is very ill and has not done anything or very little toward completeing the project and is out just having had surgery.The only other design artist the firm has lives in an area demolished by hurricane Ike. I have waited pateintly for over a month and was wondering if this is not something I could do myself.If you have any suggestions I would be eager to hear them.

Fred

PS I am not computer savy, but I am not afraid to try.

I would not have recommended allowing them to purchase the domain. If it is in their name, they own it which forces your hand to keep using them for your website. I hope that is not the case.

As far as doing it yourself, it can be done. All depends on how elaborate you want it to be and how much you are willing to learn.

Are there books on designing and hosting websites? I do very well with written instructions.

there are thousands of books about web design. Don't host it yourself, you are setting yourself up for a world of disappointment and frustration. Pay a hosting provider, it's cheap.

Use Dream Weaver, it's a program to build websites, Adobe is the manufacturer of it now.

"Dream Weaver For Dummies" is a good book.

The current version of is it CS3, you can find it for around $300 if you look for it.

I use DW to do my site, it took me about two weeks to figure out the program.

It works on the WYSIWYG priniciple, "What you see is what you get", you can also switch to coding, so you can see what the actual html coding is.

The one thing I like about DW is that you can build both simple and complex sites with it.

Good Luck!

Brian

Hi!

Its not so hard to do self,if you want.

I have done my website by my self and I have learn from the Internet and you can seek there how you shall do.

I have wright my code by my self and its fun to try :)

my site www.mickesflugor.net

Mikael

I use www.siteground.com as a domain provider. I really like them and they have a lot of programs that you can run on thier site. Programs like blogs, photo albums, shopping, anything that you want really. They also have tutorials on how to set things up. Check them out. I think they are something like $6 a month.

Randy

I use simpleurl for domain and hosting. I also recommend using a web design program I use front page. I hate it. Ive heard good things about dreamweaver. I also use ws_ftp le for uploading (its free and works fine).

I think it's important to say what the purpose for your site will be- an online store, or a forum, or just a "web presence" with photos and links and contacts, or combinations, or what.

I've written several small sites just with run-of-the-mill HTML coding. It's not really that hard with a decent reference- in fact one of my little banners was "site created the right way, with NotePad!" But keep in mind these were pretty simple, straightforward sites with no floofy crap. Other than us simpletons, today's audience expects all kinds of pretty, shiny, complicated junk on websites.

So my point is, I guess, if you are trying to make money with your site it would probably be worth it to hire someone. If it is just a fun thing, you can definately do it yourself.

I use www.siteground.com as a domain provider. I really like them and they have a lot of programs that you can run on thier site. Programs like blogs, photo albums, shopping, anything that you want really. They also have tutorials on how to set things up. Check them out. I think they are something like $6 a month.

Randy

I also use siteground. very good company and their customer service is great. they have a 24 hour chatline where somebody is always available to help you.

I use Glob@ for hosting and have continued to pay them the monthly fee, (which is very inexpensive), even though my site has been totally inactive for bout the last 5/6 years......i lost my original webmaster as a result of his divorce and subsequent moving "up in the hills" of British Columbia about 5/6 years ago. Since then the site has just sorta of floundered in limbo. Oatka, a member here is currently workin' on gettin' it back goin' good again.

Glob@ is a good hosting company though, with complete service except for webmastering. I wish they also offered that. Check them out at http://www.globat.com i think it is..... :D Such as it is.....(extremely outdated).....my site is at http://www.JazzMarkGallery.com Major updates commin' soon......... mark..... ;)