Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Skip48

Some Flies to see what you guys think.

Have not been here is a good while, but have been busy with hurricanes and other family things nd jut being busy. So good to be back here and hope to get some opinions about these. Don't remember if I even told you guys about my son getting blown up in Baghdad by and IED is Dec. 2006, but finally we are getting to the last stages of recovery. He just had his leg amputated about 2 months back and is now in Rehab. He couldn't keep his bad foot and still go back to an active unit in SF so with this he hopes to return to an active unit in the field. He has to be able to jump out of air planes again. Why at 40 he still wants to do that I don't know, but he does. He go hisGreen Beret at 37 so I don't doubt that he will do well in the end of this. All that really now can get in his way now is his thin skin form the burnes and the new below the knee leg.

Skip

Crappie Candy in 4 colors...

IPB Image

Poppers...

IPB Image

And some Buggers...

IPB Image

Skip,

Sorry to hear about your son, here is to a fast and successful recovery!

The flies look great, love the bright colors in the crappie candy. Poppers look great as well, are those balsa or foam?

Skip,

Sorry to hear about your son, here is to a fast and successful recovery!

The flies look great, love the bright colors in the crappie candy. Poppers look great as well, are those balsa or foam?

Thank you about my son, he one tough cookie and will come out good no matter. He has a great military career even if he can't go back to an active SF group as they have taken a real liking to him. They even created a job for him at Mac Dill with SOCOM.

As for the Poppers they are hard foam.

Skip

Hey Skip, nice looking flies.Will you be at the flytying rendevous at North Toledo Bend park next month.I see your from Hemphill. Tell Bill Huegel, Fred says hey!

Hey Skip, nice looking flies.Will you be at the flytying rendevous at North Toledo Bend park next month.I see your from Hemphill. Tell Bill Huegel, Fred says hey!

I don't know anything about that, but would love to know more. How would I check hat out. I tie and sell flies, but I mostly I tie crappie jigs. The fly tying is more of a want to do thing and take my time. Also don't know Bill, but probably would like to.

Thanks,

Sip

Hi Skip,

Sorry to hear the news about your son.....................im sure I speak for us all here when I wish him and you all the best.

Nice looking flies...........................

Mike................... B)

Hey Skip, sorry for assuming you knew Bill Huegel. He is a flytyer from Hemphill also and a member of the Piney Woods flyfishing club. Bill and I gave beginner flytying classes at the FFF conclave this past spring. he is a great guy and a darn good tyer.

As for the renevous I know there was a post on this site about it earlier. Harold Ray made the post and it had a Email address and I think a website you could visit about the event. I know the dates are Oct.31 Nov. 1 & 2.This will be my first time to attend. I understand they have tyers from all over the country come to this thing and its a great time with lots tying and food and even some fishing. I'll see if I can find the original thread and get the website for you.

Thank you Fred, I will see what I can find or maybe try to call or contact Bill. I only started tying about 3 years ago and started tying crappie jigs. people started asking if I sell them and the more I thought about it that sounded just like what I needed, something to do.

That led to at some point wanting to tie flies even though I had not fly fished since I was a kid long time back. Then that led to be buying a really cheap rig from Walmart and that led to getting a much better one and have not used it near enough. I enjoy it a lot and will get after the crappie next spring when the hit that 2' of water.

Anyway that is how I got to doing this without even knowing what was going on around here. I had heard about the Piny Woods Fly fishing Club, but knew nothing about it or even where they were other than East Texas.

Skip

Skip,

I love those poppers. They look like bass magnets.

You are more than a great flytyier, you are a great father. You have raised a hero, and that is something to be proud of. I will remember your son in my prayers. Please thank him for all of us for making the sacrifice he did.

Hope your son can find some time to relax and enjoy casting a line now and then.

George

Thanks to all, but I just got more not so hot news about my son.

We just heard today that he still has a problem with his stump not healing right and they are going in for more surgery Friday. He was thinking it was getting better and had already started rehab, but now a set back. I guess it will possible mean taking the bridge out and maybe even taking more of his leg off, but not sure yet.

He has been through so much since getting blown up by that IED in Dec. 2006.

Any prayers appreciated,

Skip