Fly Tying
oatka

I think I want to start tying tube flies

I've seen tube flies for a few years now, and I think that I'm going to give them a try. Anyone know of an easy way to do it without buying the attachment for the vise? Sure, It's only about $20 or $25 but, that's $20 or $25 I'm trying to avoid spending right now. Plus, isn't better to make it if you can.

Any ideas on how to do it with parts laying around the house?

A 3/0 to 5/0 blind eye salmon hook works better than most tube fly adapters or vises. If you want to make one simply use a piece of tempered steel wire of the approx. same diameter, taper one end, bend a hook bend to look like a bllind eye hook and mount in your vise.

people use a large sewing needle to hold the tube, if you want you can use q-tips

i have not used those before but I hear it is possible.

Oatka, Ray (letumgo) has a great step by step on tube flies on Hatches TV. In it , he shows how to use a 2/0 hook with the barb and eye snipped off. I ended up tying the pattern for a swap I was in . the technique with the hook worked great and have tied many more flies on it since. Hope this helps.

Fred

Here is the link to the Hatches article that Fred mentioned:

http://hatchesmagazine.com/page/october2006/271

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/september2006/248

and here are a couple other tube fly tying instructions that may be helpful:

Simplicity_Minnow_Tying_Instructions__Tube_Fly_.pdf

Letumgo_Diver_Tying_Instructions.pdf

Lake_Erie_Shinner_Tying_Instructions.pdf

letumgo, those are great tutorials! i recommend anyone check those out if they are getting into tube flies! Glad this is my post, it will be easier to find them again when it's time to start tubes!

Hey,

Everybody, I just want to give witness to Ray's simplicity minnow. IT KILLS! I have slaughtered smallies with it in Olive. Oatka, take that step by step and make it one of the first tubes that you tie. You will not be disappointed. BIG UPS TO THE SIMPLICITY!!! -Jamie

Allen wrenches! Great idea coach bob.

See, this post just goes to show I didn't think long enough about it. There are plenty of other options, sure, i might buy the attachment someday.

I think I'll start with the simplicity minnow, and then when it catches nothing, i can at least blame it on James, and not me......for once! ;)

Hey Oatka,

I used a 2" finish nail that I put in my drill and ran across sand paper. I then heated the head and hammered it flat so it would fit in the vise. I finshed it with a little fine sand paper. I used some Q-tips with the tips cut off as tubes and it seemed to work pretty good. It is clearly not state of the art. PM me with you address and I will send you one.

Chas. :headbang: