Fly Tying
Dart

The Royal Family Swap

Hey guys;

I like the examples shown so far mine are stuck on the body stage , I'm hoping that my wing feathers show up soon.

Jon

I like it alot. Holy crap it looks as long as a hockey stick.

On you pattern is there not a second herl ball closer to the eye? or was this dropped as the fly evolved?

I dont have a copy of hatches yet so this isn't a critique just a question.

Jon

RRSS,

From the picture it appears that the beard is a furnace or brown color. John's pattern is black. Does my monitor need to be calibrated, or is yours really a brown-ish red beard? If so, why? (curious, not criticizing.)

The wing is riding a bit high, but I've found that I can stroke them down a bit. The other thing I've noticed is that the tail seems to be 2 times the hook gape in yours, but 1 1/2 times the gape in John's.

How's the fishing up there right now?

-PK

I don't have the magazine but in the book I have with the coachman rangley streamers it had the throat coachman brown which I used I can tie them with black if you all want its up to you all the fishing is good here for certain fish and horrible for others pike and bass bite is on hardcore but no salmon yet except in the surf

I don't have the magazine but in the book I have with the coachman rangley streamers it had the throat coachman brown which I used I can tie them with black if you all want its up to you all the fishing is good here for certain fish and horrible for others pike and bass bite is on hardcore but no salmon yet except in the surf

I actually like the brown better (no offense, John). What book do you have, RRSS? (One cannot ever have too many books, IMHO.)

How about browns in the Rifle?

-PK

I thought there was a peacock section in front of the floss on the streamer also. But maybe I'm mistaken?

I've been looking for a classic Royal Humpy pattern, but I haven't found one. Does anyone know the history of this fly and how it's intended to be tied?

Hi Dart, The Royal Humpy first appeared in Jack Dennis' Western Trout Fly Tying manual 1976, page 85, the fly was the brain child of guide Charles Ridenour, but first tied by Jack, after Charles' death. It combines the standard humpy pattern but with Calf body hair wings like a Wulff. While the first ones had only thread underbody, usually black. I have seen Royal humpies tied with red floss or green floss underbodies. The tail is moose, the over body is tan elk, white calf body wings and Royal Wulff colored hackle. That Hersey's choclate with tint of red that we talked about. I am sure you can get some pics from Google, or let me know as I own this book.

Cheers Futzer

funny you asked PK I was thinking when I posted I wish I knew the name of the book so I could purchase the entire book I picked up what I got at a garage sale for a dime I have pages 19 through 138 as far as the browns in the rifle they are always on fire up by selkirk my buddy has been pitching mice like crazy in the evening with some monsters killing them

Dart here is a royal humpy I tied using costal deer hair I was doing them as a bonus for everyone

post-10925-1224976922_thumb.jpg

we fish them heavy on the Rifle late summer early fall for rainbows

Thanks for the info, guys. Paul, thanks for tying a bonus for everyone... I'll have to think of something else to do then. :D

Ok, folks, here's the question.... Like the opthamologist says-- Which looks better, A, or B? A is tied with a true brown hackle, while B is tied with a reddish-brown hard to describe color. So, which do you prefer?

post-10599-1224993884_thumb.jpgA?

Or

post-10599-1224994197_thumb.jpgB?

Ignore the bumpy floss and the number of tippets in the tails. These are the first two I've tied up, mostly for getting the hang of it, but also to see what I thought of the two hackle colors.

-PK

Haven't got my copy of Hatches yet so I have some questions before finishing continuing. What would be the proper hook size. the one pictured below is on a TMC 300 size 4. Also, is the tail to sparse, long, short or... I think I got the floss and wing down but I'm still improving. It'll take practice. practice

The article says a 4x long streamer hook, like a Mustad 79580, but it does not specify the size. If I recall correctly the Tiemco 300 is a 6x long hook....

The tail length looks appropriate for the hook gape, and it also looks full enough. The throat could be a bit more full, however, based upon the photo in the magazine.

Wing looks good! :headbang: Floss looks fine to my untrained floss eye...

-PK