Fly Tying
Dart

The Royal Family Swap

coachman brown is a rusty colored brown almost furnace in color and is considered by some as the correct color for the royals and personally its my favorite so PK my opinion is B

:headbang: now for a more pressing question when you coming up to get some trophy sized browns? :headbang:

coachman brown is a rusty colored brown almost furnace in color and is considered by some as the correct color for the royals and personally its my favorite so PK my opinion is B

:headbang: now for a more pressing question when you coming up to get some trophy sized browns? :headbang:

This hackle isn't quite what I'd call furnace either. It's strange.... I got it out of Keough's dig-through box at the show in Macomb last year. I'll post a pic of the full hackle sometime today.

As far as getting up there, I'm tryin'.... Just hard to make the time right now. So you need to catch some for me and post some pictures. :lol:

-PK

This is the hackle used in B.

post-10599-1225029064_thumb.jpg

post-10599-1225028486_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the color is not quite furnace. Just an "off" dye job? Or some other color altogether?

I like using this hackle for my flies, though. Wish I'd found a second one when I got this one.

-PK

PK, that's about the color of the whiting farms 100's pack that I use for drys. I've never seen a lighter rust brown in a store, so this is what I always end up with. Either color you want to use looks good to me.

Cencalfly, holy moly @ the improvement on that streamer! That floss looks great and the whole fly is something to be proud of. Good job! Other than making the throat a bit fuller, I don't know what could be done to improve it.

PK, that's about the color of the whiting farms 100's pack that I use for drys. I've never seen a lighter rust brown in a store, so this is what I always end up with. Either color you want to use looks good to me.

Dart,

that's strange. Every package I've seen labeled as furnace has a slightly different tint to it; these almost have a mahogony color to them at the correct angle. I prefer B, like Cencalfly and RRSS, so I think I'll use that one. Now, to work on the bumps and angle of the hairwing....

-PK

Just joined and I thought I would throw this one in that I tied a couple weeks ago.

I guess you'd call it a "Royal Muddler"

I guess this would be the illegitimate cousin to the Royal Family.

Just havin' a little fun.

post-17745-1225244030_thumb.jpg

Anyways, nice flies guys.

Justin

Just joined and I thought I would throw this one in that I tied a couple weeks ago.

I guess you'd call it a "Royal Muddler"

I guess this would be the illegitimate cousin to the Royal Family.

Just havin' a little fun.

post-17745-1225244030_thumb.jpg

Anyways, nice flies guys.

Justin

Justin, I can hardly wait to see your entries fot the FTF 2008 tying competition, keep having fun and keep tying.

Futzer.

Hey Dart, can't wait for the Royal family photo....

Cheers, Futzer.

Done with my swap flies Dart. Could use an addy anytime. I was just experimenting with other possible non-traditional royal family members.

And Futzer, I love the color of the hackle of the Wulffs you sent me. What brand/type of hackle is that? I guess I need to buy a whole saddle. These Whiting packs are far too red/brown for my taste.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. I've had time to tie 2 cadflies now and I'm loving the pattern! I'm off Thursday and should have more time to post and will include some pics. Thanks again Futzer.

And Futzer, I love the color of the hackle of the Wulffs you sent me. What brand/type of hackle is that? I guess I need to buy a whole saddle. These Whiting packs are far too red/brown for my taste.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. I've had time to tie 2 cadflies now and I'm loving the pattern! I'm off Thursday and should have more time to post and will include some pics. Thanks again Futzer.

The last ones I sent you were a 1980-ish Whiting that I use for my fav. Wulffs, and yes I buy lots of full saddles and capes. Find out when your local shop gets their shipment and go high-grade one or really talk to your online source and make your color pref. clear. Oh and I will post a pattern and recipe in the Db soon as you wanted. Tying in front of this forum is like owning a Ferrari, and in front of your Ferrari owners club, stating mine is the fastest and the most beautiful. You better know your sh...t. It may be my entry to the 2008 tying comp. Depends on how cocky I feel to enter a Wulff and not a stillborn Emerger in a fall color blah blah. With eyes balls and arseholes.

Keep up the fine work.

Cheers Futzer.