Fly Tying
Dart

The Royal Family Swap

Old Hat,

Dezod is right. ALL of us are qualified and none of us are qualified depending on who you talk to. We're not entering these into some competition. No one decides what is qualifying but ourselves. We're just a bunch of fly tiers of all skill levels learning from each other and enjoying our hobby/craft. At least thats what I thought. And again, Dezod is right, it's the grouping. Which leads to IBRB's question, Where's Humpy?

The Royal Coachman is supposedly one of those "flies you learn first." Yeah right! For the life of me I've never been able to get quill wings to look half as good as your's. They may be a little long but the shape and sweep is great.

Don't worry about "qualifying". For me, this is another swap like all the others. I don't display my flies, or those I get from swaps, I fish them. I have never fished any of the royals, but now I will be able to do so.

Thanks guys,

I meant the "qualifying" as more standards I set for myself. Just the way I am. I am really looking forward to seeing all the flies together.

Yeah, I don't know how these can be considered a beginner fly. One of the tougher flies to tie for me, there's a lot of stuff to fit on a regular shank hook.

Again, any suggestions would be welcome.

Again, any suggestions would be welcome.

My suggestion would be to tie 13 more just like the one you posted :D

Well done!

Looking good guys. Don't put undue pressure on yourselves. That's easier said than done, I know though because I do it all the time.

Old Hat, I've never tried that pattern, but it looks challenging. I think your fly is "wall worthy" as it is, but you asked for criticism, so here is what I'm able to offer: One difference in "show" and "throw" flies that I've learned is that many times in "show" flies you tie 1 strand of material in whereas in throw flies you go ahead and tie many strands in to speed up the process. For example, the peacock herl looks like you maybe tied in multiple strants which results in a fuller flare. The way I'm learning to do it is to tie in one strand and wrap it like a hackle. It gives a more upright squared off appearance. It depends on what you're going for.

I've had problems with the hackle flaring back toward the tail before also. The hackle would look like this: >|| instead of this: ||| What helped me straighten the hackle up is to not crowd the wing with the 2nd butt of peacock herl. The wing also looked a bit long, but it could just be the pic. Try to shoot for two times the gape of the hook (unless the proportions are different on that pattern for some reason).

Keep in mind, I'm far far FAR from advanced in these skills, I'm just trying to relay what has helped me learn.

Thanks Dart. Yeah, I think those are the 3 areas that I need work on. I was using two strands of peacock but started using one. It looks better but won't be as strong for those that want to fish the flies. I worked on getting a smoother thread base and transition under the hackle and from the body to the hackle tie in point and I think that has helped with all the transient hackles. I collect old Thompson tools and had a Thompson Wing Former that I decided to try out (never used it before). It helped quite a bit.

Hey guys;

I like the examples shown so far mine are stuck on the body stage , I'm hoping that my wing feathers show up soon.

Jon

I like it alot. Holy crap it looks as long as a hockey stick.

On you pattern is there not a second herl ball closer to the eye? or was this dropped as the fly evolved?

I dont have a copy of hatches yet so this isn't a critique just a question.

Jon

I'm tying on 6xl hooks and they are not near as long. Dude I'd hang that on my wall, er maybe two walls (it's a long dog). I haven't got my hatches yet either but I ordered pretty late.

RRSS,

From the picture it appears that the beard is a furnace or brown color. John's pattern is black. Does my monitor need to be calibrated, or is yours really a brown-ish red beard? If so, why? (curious, not criticizing.)

The wing is riding a bit high, but I've found that I can stroke them down a bit. The other thing I've noticed is that the tail seems to be 2 times the hook gape in yours, but 1 1/2 times the gape in John's.

How's the fishing up there right now?

-PK

I don't have the magazine but in the book I have with the coachman rangley streamers it had the throat coachman brown which I used I can tie them with black if you all want its up to you all the fishing is good here for certain fish and horrible for others pike and bass bite is on hardcore but no salmon yet except in the surf