Fly Tying
k4collins

After School Fly tying with kids... suggestions?

Hello All ~

Friend of ours teaches at a local elementary school, and is considering doing an after school program teaching the kids to tie flies! We are on the Chesapeake Bay.... so what a great thing for them! Thought someone might have an idea of how he might get started and where we might be able to find some vices, supplies, etc... Any thoughts or suggestions would be terrific!!

Many Thanks!

Ken

Make sure you only have three kids per instructor. As for supplies you might check with your tying buddies and see if they can help. If you have a fly shop near you see if they will help you.

We have a class here every year with about a dozen kids. This year the parents want a class. Good luck..

Good Day,

Dave! I see you in the darndest places! Haha...

Dave is right, our club, grandriverflytyers.org, hosts two youth sessions a month. We were fortunate in that a very kind individual donated about $6K worth of supplies to support the program. There are several sessions throughout the year. Seeing as we are located in West Michiga, we begin in September and run through May. We have to leave the summer for fishing, right? Dave also hit on the parental issue. The program has become so popular that now parents are wanting to sit with their child and learn too! So from what I hear, we are considering starting another program, not youth, but family. What a wonderful way for parents and kids to spend time together! Not to mention preserving the furture of the sport.

Probably the most difficult thing is to garner both tools and supplies. Check with local fishing clubs, shoot, they might even be able to help with volunteer teachers. If there is an outdoors section in your local paper ask if they would be willing to write an article on what you hope to accomplish. And don't be afraid to even approach manufacturers themselves. Kids who tie now may become customers in the furture.

Steelie

I lead a 4-H Fly Fishing Club. I found:

1. Don't be afraid to approach companies with your needs.

2. Shop Class could help with these $6:00 Vice

If you are a member of the FFF you can ask for their begining fly tying tools. As a club we requested them for our conclave .They provided vises and tools for a dozen tyers at no charge.They are not a gift but a loan.After the conclave we returned them so they could lend them to someone else.We had members of our local club gift tying materials. Although I am confident any supplier would have gladly donated some.

One thing we did this year I thought was nice was divided each tiers materials in a small zip lock bag for each fly.So when we started they had everything needed to tie that fly in one small package. And we let them take home the extra packs.

I have odd lots of materials, test materials, old stock and experimental colors and products. I save these and give them away to groups. I am keeping a list of places that would like products for their flyfishing/tying clubs and from time to time, send a parcel to them. If interested, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Mad Scientist

I teach a 4h class also and vices were my toughest problem I'm still short 5 and this will be my 3rd year my local fly shop donated 5 starter kits wallmart donated 5 starter kits and 2 youth rods for casting practice and also donation cans in supermarkets and party stores really help plus my kids tie one fly each to be auctioned off at the county fair to help pay for materials we use during the course

Thanks to all for your responses. I am passing them along! Will make some of the contacts recommended... and very well may be back in touc with you guys!! Please keep the feedback coming! All great stuff! Thanks!!

~ Ken

In memory of Phil Genova.....look to the web, FFF and used booksellers for any of Phil's written materials.

He was the most tireless advocate of teaching youth fly fishing/fly tying. He was also very adept at getting donations of materials from companies. Try your luck with Orvis and Cortland for starters....

Good luck!

John