Fly Tying
troutnabout

Project Healing Waters Challenge Swap

I want to try this one! Since i only have one good eye and still cast single handed due to tearing my arm up years ago i might just have a leg up. But i want to find some-thing simple and tie it with-out any dirrect hand use...hemos and pliers... i like the chalenge there.

I will try a couple and see which pattern comes out best.

Dr. Vette: Awesome! glad you're gonna join

I'll try to get them done by Nov. 30. I'm basically one-handed right now after rotator cuff surgery, so I won't be "faking" it.

I'm getting some adapters made so I can have my vise in front of me at belt level (where my sling has my hand).

What a GREAT idea. Especially donating the extras to P.H.H.

We're having the introductory meeting of a Project Healing Waters "chapter" next Saturday at the Indpls. VA hospital.

Looking forward to helping those who have given so much for me and for you and for us.

Hoosierflytyer: You can teach the rest of us. I just got back from a weekend PHW fishing event with six vets. It was incredible. good luck with your chapter. Let me know if I can help. Steve

a.

Ok, this is HARDER than i thought it was going to be. Ever try to pick up just one hook with stats? Then try to get it in the vise using your mouth...i now know how the fish feel. There is no way around using one hand! I am REALY starting to worry about getting this done.

How is every-one else doing it?

This could make a great read if we all own-up here.

Steve, Steve, Steve...

You got me! I'm in. After that last class of good 'urns we had at the Salisbury vets hospital how can I resist.

Just promise, no laughing!

Best regards,

Jack

Hey Joe Address Sent.

I was wodering what techniques you used to accomplish the challenge and what is was like for you to tie with an imposed disability. I'm asking because I would like to do an article to post on the PHW website. You can pm me if you don't want to post it here. Thanks, Steve

Well you asked for it.

Here's my first attempt:

first put some" hard as nails" clear on hook shaft,put thread in liquid,post-10770-1225330439_thumb.jpg add tailing post-10770-1225330630_thumb.jpgtake a break for it to setup

hold some peacock herl between thumb and forefinger, post-10770-1225331530_thumb.jpgand give bobbin a good flick with your middle finger ( if the end of the bobbin is up close to the hook shaft you should get 3 or 4 wraps)

You'll notice I'm using some strange thread it "Coats and Clark" sewing thread(rayon decorative )its pretty strong and can pass for floss in this situation

wrap thread forward then herl then wrap over the herl for center then wrap the same herl again.

I like to use hackle tips for wings post-10770-1225331203_thumb.jpg hold between fingers an give a flick again. Do the same for the hackle.post-10770-1225331105_thumb.jpg

then finish with a few half hitchespost-10770-1225331301_thumb.jpg

Joe:

Great tutorial :headbang: I really like the bobbin flick for attaching materials to the hook. I'm going to add this one to the bag of tricks and pass it on to the other tying instructors. Thanks for taking the time to explain your methods. Steve

Address Please.

I had to give up on conventional patterns and cheat using the sticky side of foam to help get a start. Trying to start and finnish a hackle is a mess. These are not the prettiest i have tied...but i did take them down and test one on the river. Durring this late caddis hatch a couple of weeks ago i caught 2 nice browns and a bunch of bows from 4inch to 12inch.

This stupidly simple pattern is quite lethal durring a caddis hatch of similar size. You will see. i guess it is a generic foam body caddis...i got the idea for the pattern watching a couple walk around my sunglasses and hat brim.

I am throwing in a couple extras of different patterns, tied with both hands, for you to donate. Also i am not including a return envelope on purpose. Just donate all of mine instead of returning any. If possible post pics of what every-one did since i am mildly curious how they turned out and what they chose. Even if i will be embarrassed by the pics of mine.

Take care.

Joeking - thanks for the photos and explanation! I haven't been following this swap but as I read through it I thought having pictures would be great.....then I got to your reply. I NEVER would have thought that something so "simple" as starting the thread on the hook could possibly be a challenge. It's great that this swap is giving people a better appreciation of Project Healing Waters!

All i did was use the stats to get some thread started then quickly went over that and trimmed. I used a very thin thread to reduce build up. I then cut the foam to size on the edge of a dictionary, to hold the main sheet in place. stuck the foam partway on the hook. Then held the hackle part way under the foam and pressed it down. that held the feather while bringing the bobbin forward to tie down the body and hackle at one shot. a little trim then hackle pliers to wrap the feather and hold it down while twisting the bobbin around it to tie it off. I cant even begin to describe how i held the bobbin with my teeth while whip finnishing.

I won't be quick to volunteer for something like this again.

Is there any-thing else small that you might like to have donated? I have a couple of 6wt lines i will never use and some extra tapered leaders if they will help you out???

Another way to start the thread on the hook is to lay your bobbin on the desk,lock your hemostat onto the end of the thread, lift both up to the center of the hook shaft then using the "stat" as an anchor start wrapping forward about 6 turns then wrap back over the thread :D