Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutchaser30

Small peacock herl

Hello,

Like some of you, I tie a bunch of pheasant tail nymphs. Because many of these are in the 16-20 range, i've had some difficulty finding a good supply of smaller peacock herls for the thorax. Regular sized herls result in a thorax that is a little too fat for my tastes.

I've been getting the smaller herls off of some old peacock eye/sticks, but my supply is dwindling. Any suggestions on where I can get a nice supply of the small stuff?

Thanks.

TC30

I am going to post a step by step this weekend which will solve your problems..... stay tuned.

Hi troutchaser30,

You might want to try peacock sword herl. it's on the other side of what most tyers usually use for tails etc. on patterns that call for it. It works really well for tiny flies.

Regards,

Mark

Use peacock eyes, the closer to the center of the eye the smaller it gets. I have teid down to size 24 phesant tails nymphs no problem

Carl

The best quality and variation in sizes comes on the peacock eye. You can also strip one side of the quill with an eraser.

Thanks for all of the good suggestions. This morning, i located fine herl at feather-craft. It sounds like it should do the trick!

feather craft herl is not as good as the write up in the catalog. its just average to below average in quality.

just my opinion