Fly Tying
Old Hat

My second Spey

Thanks everyone for the help in my first post. I took notes and tried to alleviate some of the quirks of the first one. I tried to stay with the same pattern but got rid of the tail and Krystal flash that it called for to get a little more traditional. Although, I stayed with the dubbed body and thinned it out. The wing did not turn out as well as the first one. But I think I got the proportions a little better. Please let me know what you think and what needs more work. Don't be shy.

post-13329-1223318006_thumb.jpg

Old hat,

That's lookin' dang speyish!!!! Great work! The hackle is awesome and the body is great too. I would encourage you to look for mallard that allows you to tie it in by the soft, greyish/whitish part at the root of the barbs or the fiber closest to the rachis. That will allow you to use a broad strip and still have it compress and not split. Great improvement! -Jamie

Yes. The mallard I have is not very top quality and not matched well. Thanks for the tip in tying it in. I appreciate it. I also see I need to work on my covering and tightening of the front end.

Thanks everyone for the help in my first post. I took notes and tried to alleviate some of the quirks of the first one. I tried to stay with the same pattern but got rid of the tail and Krystal flash that it called for to get a little more traditional. Although, I stayed with the dubbed body and thinned it out. The wing did not turn out as well as the first one. But I think I got the proportions a little better. Please let me know what you think and what needs more work. Don't be shy.

post-13329-1223318006_thumb.jpg

hi Old Hat

A few comments

I have also seen your first Spey and all the comments you got there.

Of your reply I can see that you really want to get advise.

Let me help you out here.

Your problem is that you do not plan your fly. Meaning where will the rear tie in point be (that is by the way right) and where will the forward tie in point be. So what happened was that you ended the body way back to the rear and from there on you simply tried to compensate to try to make up for this mistake and you ended up with a milimeter or two space in front of the front hackle before placing the wings and starting the head.

That is a "no go" There should only be one tie in point.

Do not go for "that will do". You will regret that when you start using high quallity heron hackles and bronze mallard.

Regards

Jens

Looks GREAT! the wing is a bit sparse........but no biggie.........i can see your inspired to do Spey style flies.........don't worry bout EXACTNESS to much........imho, it's much more important to be creative.........payin' attention to every detail IS VERY important........but give yourself a little leeway for adventure. If you always stay on the beaten path........you'll miss all the side roads and byways that lead to an increased sense of fun and adventure. There's a lotta cool little villages along the back roads.......you never see from the interstate. You dig? mark..... B)

Thanks Jens. Correct me if I am wrong. Your saying that the rear tie in point is OK. But, the front tie in point is too far back and the organization of the material at the front is spaced too far apart. I think I can see this in the picture. I was trying to tie each material directly in front of the previous to hide the tie in. I know I need less wraps and more quality wraps and your right more time in planning does pay off. I always tend to rush a bit.

Mark, I whole-heartedly agree with you ( I lived in Germany for 3 years and found the best beer is always in the little villages), but I'm still learning the rules of the road.

Hat, i spent a LOT of time in Europe for bout a decade.....allllllll over, and in Germany i made a VERY concerted effort to try EVERY beer i could get my hands on. :hyst: Course i did the same thing in Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Luxemburg, Ireland, Scottland, England.........etc., etc., etc., etc.......... :lol2: actually only got drunk once though.........(hadda work), and that was by mistake. Something bout Elephant Beer in Copenhagen.........i don't remember to much about it. :cheers: We were workin' a club called the Momontreau, that turns into a disco after the Jazz show..............need i say more...........but, i did manage to wake up in my own hotel room....... :drunk: Hotel was right upstairs from the club. :D BIG FUN!!!!!

mark..... B)