Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
willowhead

Passing of a Giant..........

As many of you may already know.......Mel Kreiger passed away very recently. He was one of the most well respected members of the Angling community and a world renowned fly casting/fishing instructor, who also gave birth to the FFF Casting Certification Program. He taught litterally thousands over the years. Misa and i got to know him to some degree at the FFF International Conclave where he would attend and teach most every year.....last time we saw him, was at last year's Conclave in Livingston, Montana. We ran into him on the Boulder in Montana during the Conclave and he was casting a piece of yarn while a professional photographer took pics for his new book.

We waited for a while and finally i helped him back up on the bank. When he saw us he gave us that GREAT smile of his and offered us the pool. We gladly took the pool and offered to give it back after he had his lunch. He said that would be much appreciated..........but he never returned. Later that eve., we saw him again at the Conclave and he told us he had found another place where the light was better for takin' the pics. "What-a-guy!" It's been said that, "all you'll ever do, is make a little contribution." His was large. mark..... B) .....btw, we caught 13 Bows and 4 Brookies outta that pool.....all realeased..... :D

There will be a "Celebration of Me's Life" in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco at the Golden Gate Casting Club, casting ponds on Nov. 2ed. All are welcome. I wish we could attend, but we will be in Texas at the time. We're goin' to see Mel's long time wife Fanny, later this week in Branson, Missouri at the International Women fly Fishers Annual Festival. It is Fanny who founded the IWFF.............i will convey condolences from all at FTF. mark..... ;)

i also have them chromeseeker.........in one he even tyes a Caddis fly. But the ones i like the most are the Spey casting videos. "The Angle to the Dangle." ........Mel had so much enthusiasum for life.....and he just loved to teach and help others. A very positive spirit. Once he talked to me for almost an hour all about one of his new ideas to start a guiding certification program........i don't think it ever came to fruition, but he had many sound reasons for believing in it. Programs like the casting certification program at the FFF and other will generates hundreds of opinions as to their merit........but with Mel, it wasn't about any of the political crap that is sometimes the motivation for "Programs." It was a deep beliefe in trying to find ways to better the sport. I believe he had no personal stake in trying to raise his own status..........he simply wanted to elevate the sport, and bring more enjoyment and joy itself to others. He was extremely genuin and forthright about his intentions and himself. And his ego never got in the way. From what i could gather the few times i was around him.......he had no ego. Course i wasn't a close associate, but i never once saw him "flinch" in any way.....if you know what i mean. We need more like him.....but with guys like that.....the molde is soon broken. mark.....