Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jjtroutbum

Buying materials list for classic style wets

Mid West Trout mostly will be the target species.

Have one of the Cabela's floss, rib, wire, and tinsel type assortment kits I think I'll continue to use for now.

1. What I really would like from the many knowledgeable tyers here is a cheat sheet into what they would purchase first in the way of winging materials, favorite hooks, and such that I may over look in getting serious moving past the soft hackles, flymphs, and spiders.

2. Same questions as above but this time change the pattern to feather winged streamers

Going to walk in to Feather-Craft here in St. Louis in the next couple of days and spend a little money that I should save.

Please help me spend some cash wisely on preparing for starting some winter tying projects.

Thanks

JJ

If a mod could edit title to include "wets/streamers" that would great. If not with current forum mess I would understand completely .

Ok, so this is not easy to respond to, but I'll try.

Thread: You need white, red, and black. Red isn't called for very often, but sometimes it comes in handy (and thread is cheap).

Hooks: For wets, Mustad 3399 or 3906 would be good. Start with size 8 or size 6 for wets. For streamers, that depends on what you plan to tie. You might start with Mustad 3665A size 6 for casting streamers. For larger trolling sized, there are other options, but none are cheap. If you want to experiment, get a 25-pack of Mustad 94740 from Hook and Hackle or someone like that. Size 2.

Tailing and throats: A selection of schlappen, rooster body feathers, or hen saddle. These are solid web and excellent for this application. I have become prone to a wrapped and pulled down half collar for wet flies (sort of Irish style), so I prefer hen neck, but most of the folks on this site you'll see using schlappen or similar.

Body and Rib: You already have floss and tinsel. Make sure you have the finest size oval tinsel.

Wings: Mallard quills. By these in person. You want them to have the same size and shape. A pair of wings is good - but only if they are from the same bird (or apparently so). You can also look for an assortment of dyed-over-white duck or goose quills, but not every shop carries them. You'll also want some duck flank feathers. At a minimum, mallard and woodduck. Don't use dyed mallard as a woodie sub for wet flies. It just doesn't look the same. For streamers and bucktails, you'll want an assortment of bucktails and hackles. Pick out what flies you want to tie and concentrate on the colors for just those patterns. You can go bananas buying this stuff. The most important is white - get a good one. Strung hackle is ok if you pick through and know what you are looking for. If in doubt, look at Whiting American necks. Those have nicely shaped feathers for streamers. Sometimes their saddles are ok, but they tend to be long and narrow, so I would not mail order those.

Cheeks: A lot of streamers call for jungle cock eyes. They look fantastic, but aren't cheap. Your call.

Extras: A golden pheasant crest and tippet patch are a good investment, as it a peacock eye.

This stuff should get you started. You'll never have everything (who does?), but you can tie a lot of flies with just a handful of carefully chosen materials.

Good luck.

bob covers most of the stuff...i'd like to add a little

all tyers from years past did the same thing that we are doing now...looking for the best quality materials available...truest colors, cleanest etc.

some feathers you see will be great for certain applications...and useless for others...case in point, long fibered turkey tail feathers are great for long shanked streamers and salmon flies but almost useless for smaller, wets...the tips of the fibers are much finer than required for trout wet patterns (montreal, etc.)so they don't tie in properly..thus the reason for turkey wing quills, goose, duck or other fuller fibered feathers

streamer necks...many of the great streamer tyers, (oatman, jennings, etc) used chinese necks, indian necks and strung saddles for their patterns because those were the best available...the genetic marvels for dry flies are USUALLY no good for streamers

all feathers are useful but not for all applications so purchase appropriately.

Sign in to follow this