Fly Tying
Fred H.

Would you sell your Realistics flies

I have been asked from time to time to sell one or more of my flies. When I first started trying to tie realistics the number of completed flies were few. They were the only examples of my tying and I did not want to let them go. Now as their numbers are growing I find I'm able to part with them a little more freely and have given away many and traded some. What about the rest of you? Have you sold any flies, would you ? How do you set the price? I hope this is not an uncomforable topic for any of you . And would like to hear some feedback.

Thanks, Fred

I would have no problem sellin. Try Ebay just for the heck of it. See what happens. I have sold a few things on there but no flies. Its just a thought.

I know exactly what you mean Fred but I feel like this I could sell them because if someone is willing to pay for it they are going to give it a good home and it is the purist form of a compliment you can get of course if your flies turn out like mine you can't pay someone to take them :lol2: :lol2: as far as price goes when selling fishing flies I try to get 10 bucks an hour plus materials so simple dries costs about 12 bucks a dozen a dozen mighty mouse 36 bucks a dozen lizzy frogs 80 bucks as far as realistics I had a guy offer me 75 for the spider I am giving away in the swaptest needless to say I just finished tying up another one if your going to mount them in a shadow box then you got to charge for that also figure out what it costs you in materials per fly then how long it takes and then figure out what your time is worth its quite simple once you do that hope this helps

just speaking for my self. I 've always had a hard time equating a price for a service because of the field I'm in proffesionally. I get 45 for a simple denture repair that may take me 15 min. It's the only form of reference I have, and because it's a medical related field it's horribly skewed. I once tied several dozen flies for a local fishing store and happened to recieve the check along with a check for some repairs I did. I looked at both the checks and the time that went in to them and felt ill. I just gave several dozen fishing flies to a new store that opened up to help promote fly fishing in the area. I felt better giving them away than I would have getting 50 or 60 dollars for them.

I never looked at fly tying as a source of possible income and I don't mean to leave the false impression that I couldn't use some extra money. It's hard to explain. I love what I do at work and am well compensated for it. I love tying realistics and having someone marvel over it.But putting a price on them gives me a headache just thinking about it. I would rather give one to someone who would enjoy it . I know there are some realistic tyers that get what they ask for their flies and deservedly so. They are masters of their craft. For some it is their sole proffession and I think that is great. As for the rest of you who have a full time occupation other than tying realistics. What is your take on selling your flies? I obviously haven't been able to wrap my head around it.

Hi Fred, I have often thought about this subject with any fly. On one hand I agree with Paul and his calculations but the materials almost seem negligible (except for the exotic feathers and antique hooks). So what is a fair rate per hour? I guess that is up to the tier to decide. I have talked to tiers at shows about their rate or cost of flies and observed their work and honestly gauged my skills (or potential) to them and go from there. I would say the mounting or display case cost more than the fly sometimes! You can always charge a flat cost, knowing what someone might pay. Supply and demand.

Although my wife and friends tell me I should sell some of my flies it is more of a pain. My wife sees the time and investment and my friends appreciate hand/custom made flies. For me, I am with you. This isn't a source of income, I am having fun tying and I enjoy sharing my flies.

If you change your mind think of your freebies as getting your flies and name get out there.

Money isn’t everything. Do what you feel is right.

Thanks, Paul , Jsnook and Dave for the responses. Paul's answer was that of someone who has sold some flies and has a pretty good gauge on what he wants to get for them. Jsnook is not the first person to suggest Ebay. Althought I must say I have had reservations about selling them on there because I have not seen any realistics sold on there other than massed produced flies from Asia. I think Dave and I are of the same mind on this subject. And I would like to hear more of what others have to say on the subject.

Sell 'em. The best form of flattery is cash :rolleyes:

It can be a very difficult decide what to sell for! I have found that for standard flies eg. Dry, wet, nymph, small streamers & extra. I take the cost of material and then times it by a % that way it should be the same right across the Bord!

Now for big bass flies, mice & other deer hair flies. I sell these flies for a bigger % than the others.

For my realistic flies that take a lot longer to Ty I add the same % as of the bass flies and then little more for a % for time it takes to Ty the flies.

I hop that this helps Fred H!!

P.S. this also helps you to perfect your tying be making dozens of the same fly! well taking that money and putting it into your tying stock.

tyrite

I do like to sell my flies, but I don't have a set price, I mean I want a reasonable price, but I usually take what someone offers me. And of course you have to gauge it off of how much time was spent on the fly,

You never really want to let any of them go, it's suprising how attached to them you get, but most of the time the allure of being attached to green rules the day.

It is even better to collect royalties for your flies and not even have to tie them :yahoo:

I have a hard time sending flies in for contests. If I am willing to send them, that means that I like them, and if I like them I don't want to give them up. :dunno:

BFR

It is even better to collect royalties for your flies and not even have to tie them :yahoo:
unfortunetly no one is beating down my door for that.

I have a hard time sending flies in for contests. If I am willing to send them, that means that I like them, and if I like them I don't want to give them up. :dunno:

BFR

I know what you mean. Then came the swaptest. The only catch to getting your fly back is you have to win. :wallbash:

I do sell my realistic stoneflies but only mounted in shadow boxes, or snow globes. I can't stand thinking of someone fishing with them. For an adult and nymph, I get $100 to $150, add an emerging adult, add $50. In all I have sold about 40 sets. As for presentation Royal Wulffs, I get $5 a fly, and have sold seveal hundred dozen to 2 trout carvers. I have never sold on ebay. I do sell them out of a couple friends shops. It all started with snow globes that I had given my buddies as gifts when their shops opened, which they displayed, and eventually a customer just had to have them. I always have tried to meet the person too, I feel better knowing who has them I guess. It is fun, but if you take the time it takes to do them, it is not going to make me rich. When I say snow globe, I do not mean with fake snow inside, but the round glass globe with a bit of driftwood and river rock in them. I like them because you can hold them up and get a perspective from all sides.

Cheers, Futzer

Futzer, I'd love to see a pic of these Royal Wulff's you speak of! Heck, I'd love to buy one!

Fred and Dave, I agree with giving them away. I'm not yet to the point where people would want a fly from me, but when I get there I hope to mentor someone and send free flies to someone who would truly appreciate it. I think if you know someone on a quasi-personal level you can gauge if your gift will be used wisely. To send them to everyone on the internet who thinks they look "cool" is a waste though.