Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jimmywhiplash

What do you store your flytying gear in

Hi all

I have been pondering with the idea of building a custom flytying chest to store all my materials and tools etc

have any of you guys done this? I do not have space fore a stand alone bureau type system I was thinking more of a chest type thing with drawers fitted to take spools of thread etc

It sounds like a good idea to me. It would be wise to line the inside of it with cedar to keep the critters away from your materials.

I am up to 75 - 10"x12"x 16' tupperwares, but my travel kit 2 12 gallon tuff crates. :-)

in other words, make it bigger than you need at the moment.

Cheers, Futzer

I am up to 75 - 10"x12"x 16' tupperwares, but my travel kit 2 12 gallon tuff crates. :-)

in other words, make it bigger than you need at the moment.

Cheers, Futzer

Thanks for the advice,I actually am going to make it around twice the size I need you know what we fly tiers are like always buy stuff, at present I am just trying to sort out the dimensions and what materials to use.

Look at old cedar chests. I payed 10.00 for a cedar chest at a flea market and I am in the process of refinishing the outside. Craigslist has them all the time. I will post a picture when I get home. This is for materials. My tools are in an old machinist tool box that I refinished the inside.

BFR

A couple of picture's of of my space in progress.

post-1246-1224556520_thumb.jpg

post-1246-1224556504_thumb.jpg

post-1246-1224556621_thumb.jpg

BFR

keep mine in ziplock bags in my tying desk.My hooks in a ,something like a screw chest,with a bunch of drawers.

shane

I keep some of my more used items on my bench I made; the other stuff is kept in a tackle box and a small filing cabinet.

heres mine its portable and it had a built in place to clamp the vice to holds 12 spools of thread, a dubbing box and all my tools plus the vice... just finished it eariler today!!!

flystation.jpg

tyingcase.jpg

I think I have 8 or 9 of the Tupperware type tubs from Wal-Mart and 2 different types of their tubs on wheels. The necks and capes are stored in a small 2 drawer dresser that I put moth crystals in. For travel I have one of the Fly Hive travel kits that they quit making. My thread is held on 2 of the 60 spool thread racks I also got in Wal-Mart. Bad part is .. I still need more storage room.

Mike

My parents gave me my Grandmother's wedding dress chest a few years ago. It's about 6 feet long, about 3 feet deep, and about 2.5 feet high. It has one tray that opens with the lid, the rest is just a big compartment in the botttom. The whole thing is lined with red cedar, and it keeps me bug free. At some point she must have moth balled it, because it smells like those bad, but the smell does not escape into my apartment, so I have no worries. I keep all my expensive materials in there, I worry a lot less about the cheap fly shop stuff, but the rare and hard to get salmon fly materials all have a home there.

I think any custom material storage should be lined with red cedar as troutbum suggested, it's the best option for bug prevention that is not chemical based.

If I remember I will take a picture and post it.

Good Day,

Labeled plastic shoe and storage boxes. Why? Mostly becuase I have so many materials. My materials take up a little more than half of a standard 6' wide bedroom closet. Hey, I have been doing this for twenty years... so I am bound to pick a few materials along the way. Just make sure they are clearly labeled as this helps a bunch.

Steelie

I keep all essential materials in a desk and adjoining bureau. All surplus and spare materials I store in 18 gallon totes in the garage. I've been collecting materials for years and find it handy to be able to give materials and tools away to beginners, especially kids and scouts. The Good Lord has given you a gift and you should all share it with kids at every opportunity.