Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
willowhead

Jet Stream

There's a "mixed wing" for ya. :hyst: Light blue Polar Bear, then flash, dark blue Polar Bear, then flash. :D Just a bit hard to tell but the dubbing is a real pretty medium green, with silver oval tinsel. Bead is a light blue, with red stripes and white spots. Of the 10/20 pics i took, unfortunately, this one, (which doesn't show the head well), is the best. But the head and eye match the wing and bead. The wing is excessivly long on purpose........can be trimmed as nessessary. And yes, i likes LONG tags......... :P this one is a silver braid. Those ridges are just part of the material, and i LOVE the material. The pic suckx. mark..... ;)

Think i'll fish this one..... :hyst: ..... :P ..... :rolleyes: ..... :unsure: ..... :D ..... :dunno: ..... :) ..... :lol: ..... B) in that order..... :lol2:

mark i like the way you choose the beads to go with the fly you are tying. do you know befor you start what bead you will use or to you go with te flow so to speak. where to you get your beads from? do you have to make the hole on them bigger to ge them on the hook

First: i get the beads wherever and from whomever, i possibly can..........Ronn Lucas Sr. has some of the very best beads on this or any other planet.....

Second: the bead "choice", and matchin' it up with just the right hook, is the FIRST thing i do.....because after all.....the bead determins the rest of the fly.....

in that i mean........everything else has to go "with" the spirit of the bead.........the color scheme, and design are all based on the bead itself.....

Third: i usualy have a half dozen or so beads and hooks already matched up just waitin' to be "NEXT" :D .....remember, just as in "The Music".....ANTICIPATION is EVERYTHING...........

Fourth: i have VERY rarely ever had to deal with enlarging the hole thru the bead.......occassionally.....but very rare. i spend a lot of time choosing the beads.....

but i have a tool for that purpose when nessessaey.....

Fifth: i NEVER repeat a fly.....that'd be like playin' the same solo on the same tune, night after night after night after night.....like bein' sent to hell to do nothin' but fly fish forever......or anythin' else, and nothin' but that......forever...............................................................

The bead is it glass? fish this fly and let me now if you catch anything,I think you do :D

good color choice, :headbang: :headbang:

Micke

Hi Micke and THX., i'm not really sure of this beads make up.....it has a glass like finish.....but i think it may be a composit of some kind.....or perhaps even ceramic. It's very shinny, but the "tube" down the center has the same type of material to it's inside make up, as many of the beads i have recently bought. I wish i knew more bout the beads.....they're very fascinating. Perhaps the "glass" is molded around the center tube.....????? mark..... ;)

Very cool! I like everything about it except the hook. I love the wing and the super-full collar especially!

Tkx. Alex.....do you mean you think i'd be nicer on a different hook? And if so......what hook, if you don't mind me askin'? Just curious and your opinion matters to me. mark..... ;)

Well, I like the shape and stuff, I just don't like the barb/point. It's not a huge deal but I think the fly deserves a nicer hook, if ya catch my drift :thumbsup:

Well, that's a nice thought Alex.........maybe 10 to 15 percent of the blind eye hooks i have are first rate, top notch hooks.........hooks by Ronn, etc. I have to save those for special purposes, gifts, donation, etc. I have hundreds of "others" that i use on a daily basis........best i can do. Wish it were different, and perhaps it could be if my addictions didn't include so many things. But hey, that's life in the real world. mark..... B)

mark this fly looks like a comet they draw in the comic books. great fly there mark cant wait to see more. you have a style all of your own man.

DANG! thata been a GREAT name....."Comic Book Comet." :D .....we'll see bout that later............TKX! :thumbsup: .....i hadda nother one ready to post but just ran outta time before we hadda hit the road again for the Toledo Bend Rondezvous. We're spendin' the night here at the Best Western in Shreveport, LA. i'll post it when we get home. mark..... ;)