Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cole

Question about Renzetti Traveler

I got a heck of a deal on a Renzetti traveler non cam model and had a few questions about jaw assembly's for it.

I am not going to tie anything over an 18, but I am going to tie some permit/tarpon flies which are a 1/0-2/0 hook.

What jaw assembly will work for all of the above or can I stick with the one assembly I have and purchase another for big flies?

Thanks,

Cole

You should be able to use the one you have if it is standard.

I also tie on a Traveler and I can go comfortably up to 4/0 salt hooks.

No worries, great vise :headbang:

I need to get to Casters and get back to my southern roots! I miss NC dearly.... :rolleyes: especially Hendo and Asheville

The Presentation is nice also but I think you get more bang for your buck with the Traveler

Ok, I was confused on the hook sizes for a minute there on Renzetti's site.

Thanks.

Traveler 2200 Series Base Model #28 to 4/0

Ok, I was confused on the hook sizes for a minute there on Renzetti's site.

Thanks.

I use a Renzetti Traveler (older model) for my portable travel vise,,,,, my favorite saltwater hooks are 1/0 & 2/0,,,,, the standard jaws work fine if adjusted correctly.

I tried the Traveler cam jaws as a retrofit upgrade and did not like them,,,, sold off the cam and much prefer the screw adjustment,,,,, it is more secure for larger hooks.

The jaws should be opened just wide enough to slip in the hook bend,,,,, then tighten the jaws down,,,,, at this point the jaws should be close to parallel.

If the the jaws are splayed at an angle when clamped down, the hook holding is reduced and many complain about this situation.

It takes a few seconds to pre-set the jaw opening for the hook shank diameter.

Regards,

FK

Guess I'm the only one who's had issues with the Traveller and large hooks (i.e. standard Traveller, not the SW version).

I've had a cam jawed Renzetti Traveller for a while now and while it is fine for trout and modest sized bass bugs,

whenever I get past size 2 hooks I always switch to my Dyna-King Supreme. The Traveller just doesn't hold a large

hook well enough, especially stainless steel ones.

If you haven't got the money for another vice or only occassionally tie large bugs, this is not a big deal because as

other have pointed out, it will serve. But if you tie more 2/0 than #20's, I'm not sure the Traveller is the best tool for the job.

YMMV.

I put huge hooks in my traveler and haven't had problems yet. It should handle 1/0 to 2/0 no sweat. It really is a great vice for the money.

i just looked at the pictures on renzetti's site the traveler 2200 and the presentation 2000 look to be the same what if anything is the differenc? your guys input would be greatly appreciated sense i already know i'm getting a new vise in December i'm just not sure now what one to get

Go for the Presentation if you have the choice. The Presentations are anodized.

The Presentation 2000 features Renzetti's patented adjustable jaw hinge and cam jaws, allowing the tyer to achieve True Rotary action. It offers the features of the Master Series with the patented jaw hinge, the Presentation 4000 with the ratchet rotary actuator, patented anti corrosion jaws, standard pedestal base, plus a hinge stem and a 7" stem.