Fly Tying
deflyguy

What makes a Spey fly a "Spey" fly

I've got to stick my foot into this conversation. Spey flies were characterized as such because they were fished on the River Spey. They branched out somewhat after that, but were indigenous to the river. Secondly, spey cock, which was a main ingredient on most of the spey flies is most easily mimicked today by Rooster Coque. It's not remotely close to Whiting Spey Hackle. Check out this link http://www.longsclassic.com/ Scroll down and look at a spey fly tutorial from a master "Brown of Aberdeen". Then take a look at this link. http://www.feathersmc.com/products/show/Ha...ster%20Coque%20 Then take a look at this link http://cgi.ebay.com/Whiting-Spey-Rooster-S...3QQcmdZViewItem and contrast and compare. Whiting Spey hackle is closer to BEP or Heron, but no where near as full. It is a very weak, wispy alternative. Even these patterns, along with every other Classic Salmon Fly, have evolved into more "showy" versions compared to mid 19th century. They kind of look like wooly buggers in the brown of aberdeen tutorial, no? And this is what we've turned them into now and days. This is the Silver Green Fly from A.E. Knox's "Autumns on the Spey" post-4102-1224862101_thumb.jpg

James Daly,

Thank you for pointing out my mis-statement regarding the Whiting Spey hackle being a substitute for Spey chicken. It is indeed a substitute for Heron. In my enthusiasm for an exceptionally fine product and in my opinion the best hackling for all Spey flies I got carried away.

Great Links James. I found it interesting that the Brown of Aberdeen describes the wings as being set quite apart. Is this different then the way that we see wings set today? Also I have quite a bit of those feathers in my collection and use them often on steelhead patterns and woolly buggers. Always liked they way they moved more than the normal saddle hackles we usually see used. This is very interesting. Ideas abound. Thanks for lending a foot.

Great Links James. I found it interesting that the Brown of Aberdeen describes the wings as being set quite apart. Is this different then the way that we see wings set today? Also I have quite a bit of those feathers in my collection and use them often on steelhead patterns and woolly buggers. Always liked they way they moved more than the normal saddle hackles we usually see used. This is very interesting. Ideas abound. Thanks for lending a foot.

-I found that quite interesting myself. To the point, yes wings are set touching or overlapping or doubled, but all give that upside speedboat look or crustacean-y (Is that a word?) shell look about them. I find it rather intriguing that Brown stated to set the wings apart, almost Dee-ish in nature. Food for thought........... Think about what they would look like in the water. That hackle pulsing and undulating, as well as the soft fibered mallard working above the hackle, kind of flapping as it went. TONS O'MOVEMENT! -Jamie